May I retrack my bid as of where it is & it would be impossible to pick it up !

pthands
Community Member

Hi ! I have bid on a (Gas Burner) & I was wondering if I could retrack my Bid as where it is located it would be impossible to pick it up as it would cost heaps more than what the item is worth to even get delivered which the item is not worth all this cost as I could buy a new one for the price & the add even say's (local pick up) & I'm sorry about this as I didn't even notice where it was located at till I had Bid & I'm on the Pension & therefore as I said it would be too far for me even to travel to collect the item so I would be most grateful if u could consider doing this for me Please TYVM Phill !

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

cq_tech
Community Member
You are not talking to eBay here, only other members like yourself. However, having said that, you are certainly permitted to retract your own bid as long as there are more than 12 hours remaining in the auction.
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

To retract a bid you need to use the Bid Retraction form: Retracting a bid

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

If your retract time has expired you could always talk to the seller.

Explain to them, as you have here, that you didn't bother to read the description. Oh, sorry, you did. You just didn't understand that local pickup meant local pickup. Explain that to the seller and he might be willing to give you a numpty card. I wouldn't.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

You will have to send a message to the seller if you do end up winning.

Otherwise yes, retract your bid straight away.

But just a thought for the future: When you're thinking of bidding on big, heavy items, the first thing you need to look at in the ad-the very first thing, even before price- is location.

If you look down the left hand side of the main page, you will see that you can filter the ads. Click on the 'more options' or more refinements or whatever at the bottom and one of the options is to ask for only items within, say, a 20km radius of your home to show up in the search.

Before you bid, you need to have in mind where the item is and how you plan to collect it, because even if it is just a couple of km down the road, unless you have a ute or trailer, you could still end up paying a lot for delivery.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

And just another tip....don't play the Pensioner card on the boards.  It has no bearing on the transaction and will not get you any sympathy when you fail to read the listings before bidding.

There are a lot of elderly people trading on ebay...some pensioners, some not....but we manage to read the listings and work out if we can pick up the items before we bid.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

If your retract time has expired you could always talk to the seller.

Explain to them, as you have here, that you didn't bother to read the description. Oh, sorry, you did. You just didn't understand that local pickup meant local pickup. Explain that to the seller and he might be willing to give you a numpty card. I wouldn't.

I like davewil's reply.

amxsuperstores - Australia's three largest motorcycle accessories superstores.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply