Purchased item not at location stated no contact with seller

Hi, I have purchased a shipping container and of course this is pick up only and the only option for payment was Paypal no cash option on pickup. Paid via PayPal via my cheque account. I got he address for pickup and contracted a tray tuck to pick it up but when he got there it is a vacant lot with no container. In between this the seller had asked me to release the funds as he was short of money. I was prepared to do this once I had the container. I am unable to contact the sell and he has not responded to Ebay or Paypal. But I am shocked that I am not covered for the payment that as yet has not been released to the seller. All along Ebay had said I was protected but once the case was escalated I'm told a different story. It was a considerable amount of money $1540.00. If he does not return phone calls and emails surely a STOP can be put on the payment to him before it is due to be released this week.

Surley this is fraud? Help please.

View Entire Topic

Yes of course it is fraud, but you are the one who needs to know the rules before and not after! There is NO buyer protection whatsoever for pick up items paid with paypal. The correct way would have been to inspect the goods, and pay cash only when sastisfied. I realise this was not an option, and you have found out why this is not an option - the seller is a scammer and relies on people not knowing the rules and falling for his ruse - as you have.

Paypal and ebay will not help you. Print out ALL of the information you have and go to the police. I'm sure all of the contact details will be false so there probably won't be anything they can do to help you but they may be able to give you some other ideas. I really hate to tell you this but you have probably done your money. I'm really sorry.