Advice needed

I purchesed what I thought was a Mac Mini 2009 model only to find out later that it was the old 2005 model and since I'm not fimiliar with apple computers I didnt know when the adverticment read Apple Mac Mini G4 GREAT WORKING CONDITION at the top of the page then down below it had in the computers specifics, Model ID Macmini3,1, Model Number A1283, AppleMacMiniMarch2009.
So I emailed the seller about this and he replied that he didn't know how this happend and that it must have been ebay that put the computers specs in not him and that he was posting it off strait away so I emailed him strait back asking for it to be canceled because it was not what I wanted and could I get a refund but he has not replied to my email, Am I in my rights in asking for a refund

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Advice needed

At the risk of ststing the obvious, buying technical items - particularly ones that you are not familiar with - is ill advised at best. If the  specs provided in the listing are not for the item named in the title, you have a good case for an "Item not as described" claim. The seller can't claim that eBay put in the specs - a seller is responsible for all the information in the listing.

I hope you paid by Paypal and this advice assumes that you did. If he is stating that the item has been posted, wait a week at the most and then if it turns up and it's not what it is meant to be, open an "Item Significantly Not As Described" Claim through eBay's Resolution Centre (the link will be on the listing drop down menu at the right). You will probably be asked to explain/prove this and to return the item to the buyer (at your expense and in the condition you received it). Follow this advice to the letter and make sure you send it signature on delivery and keep the proof, because if he claims it didn't arrive you will be asked to prove it. I would also photograph it before you send it , packing it very well, just in case he claims it was damaged by you or whatever. I understand that this is some expense to you, but better to get most of your money back than none at all. It may be useful if you have a local computer shop to ask them if they could verify the specs of the item (if it turns up) - this could cost a fee but it all depends on what you paid, whether this is worthwhile.

If your item hasn't arrived in a week, I would open an item "Item Not Received" case through the same page.

My advice would be not to get into a dialogue with this guy and don't let him string it out - you only have 45 days to lodge a claim and some of the shonky ones are experts at stringing out a discussion past that point. He already knows you are not familiar with the product and may try to blame you for the problem.

If you paid by direct deposit, you can still go through these processes bu your buyer protection is limited.

As far as feedback goes, I would leave it alone for the moment (you have 60 days to do that I think), and when you do get around to leaving it - keep it factual and simple eg  "Item specs were incorrect, was an older device than claimed". Using words like fraud or liar will give him grounds to have it removed.

I hope it works out well for you,

Marina.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Advice needed

Are you saying the specs in the listing don't match the title?

Marina.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Advice needed

Yes I found out the listing Mac Mini G4 is an old 2005 model and the specs are for a 2009 model nearly twicw as powerfull, If I had more knolage of macs I would have known this but I'm a PC guy not a mac so I didn't know the G4 model was not built in 2009

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Advice needed

At the risk of ststing the obvious, buying technical items - particularly ones that you are not familiar with - is ill advised at best. If the  specs provided in the listing are not for the item named in the title, you have a good case for an "Item not as described" claim. The seller can't claim that eBay put in the specs - a seller is responsible for all the information in the listing.

I hope you paid by Paypal and this advice assumes that you did. If he is stating that the item has been posted, wait a week at the most and then if it turns up and it's not what it is meant to be, open an "Item Significantly Not As Described" Claim through eBay's Resolution Centre (the link will be on the listing drop down menu at the right). You will probably be asked to explain/prove this and to return the item to the buyer (at your expense and in the condition you received it). Follow this advice to the letter and make sure you send it signature on delivery and keep the proof, because if he claims it didn't arrive you will be asked to prove it. I would also photograph it before you send it , packing it very well, just in case he claims it was damaged by you or whatever. I understand that this is some expense to you, but better to get most of your money back than none at all. It may be useful if you have a local computer shop to ask them if they could verify the specs of the item (if it turns up) - this could cost a fee but it all depends on what you paid, whether this is worthwhile.

If your item hasn't arrived in a week, I would open an item "Item Not Received" case through the same page.

My advice would be not to get into a dialogue with this guy and don't let him string it out - you only have 45 days to lodge a claim and some of the shonky ones are experts at stringing out a discussion past that point. He already knows you are not familiar with the product and may try to blame you for the problem.

If you paid by direct deposit, you can still go through these processes bu your buyer protection is limited.

As far as feedback goes, I would leave it alone for the moment (you have 60 days to do that I think), and when you do get around to leaving it - keep it factual and simple eg  "Item specs were incorrect, was an older device than claimed". Using words like fraud or liar will give him grounds to have it removed.

I hope it works out well for you,

Marina.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Advice needed

I don't usually advocate phoning people unless it is a pick up item but in thos instance I would be pulling ther contact details and telling them in no uncertain terms that as soon as it arrives you will be opening an item not as described dispute with Paypal as the seller is responsible for any and all ingformation in the listing and the only way the wrong specs could have been displayed would be if they input the wrong model.

If they still send it don't delay when it arrives, open the dispute straight away if it is the same model. Be very specific in the dispute, bulet point every thing that is different from the received item.

If Paypal find in your favour then you will have to return the item, as it contains a lithium battery it must be returned by ordinary parcel post, not a pre paid satchel, with a road only sticker on it and you must use signature on delivery and send to the address exactly as given to you by Paypal.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Advice needed

After I had sent him an email about the specs of the mac and when he emailed back saying he didn't know why the specs said a 2009 model and that ebay must have put that part into his add I thought to myself you lying bugger I'm going to have problems here.

Funny part is I wouldn't have been any wiser if I had not looked up the everymac website and saw the model he had with a 1.33ghz cpu was a 2005 and all  2009 mac had a 2ghz cpu

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Advice needed

You didn't say, but has the seller actually posted the item yet? If not, there'll be no trouble cancelling the sale, but if it has been sent, you need to follow the advice given above.
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Advice needed

Perhaps direct the seller to this thread so they can see that they are never going to win this one and are just wasting their money postiing the thing off.

They have obviously clicked on the link to display the specs for an item however they have obviously selected the wrong one, not ebay's fault but their own.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Advice needed

I got in contact with the seller and he has posted it but I have told him I will post it back to him and he can refund me which he is willing to do after a message from paypal so looks like all is good.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Advice needed

Be very certasin that you return it in a Paypal approved way, that is with signature on delivery and make sure you get confirmation of the correct address through Paypal even if that means opening a dispute.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply