Auction for item ended BEFORE the scheduled ending time.

roseville200
Community Member

I wanted to bid on an item where the auction was scheduled to end at 8.00 pm last Sunday.  I decided not to bid until just a few minutes before the end time.  So I opened the item at 7.45pm, only to find that the auction had ended at 7.26pm.  The winning bid was the same as the opening bid.  I was prepared to bid much higher.  (I know I could have put a bid in much earlier and let eBay bid for me.)

I thought auctions had to run their course.  I've emailed the seller to explain what happened, but no reply.

Has the seller done the wrong thing?

Thanks, roseville200

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

aps1080
Community Member

No, a seller can end an auction when they like.

I have in the past contacted a seller to get them to end an auction
early to take the item off the market and knock out the others who are watching or who have bid - especially if I know their are a number of watchers / bidders.

Some will do it, some won't - for the obvious reason it can cost them $$$ as the seller of your item did.

Maybe they didn't think they would get any more bids ?????

Just my HO.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

aps1080
Community Member

No, a seller can end an auction when they like.

I have in the past contacted a seller to get them to end an auction
early to take the item off the market and knock out the others who are watching or who have bid - especially if I know their are a number of watchers / bidders.

Some will do it, some won't - for the obvious reason it can cost them $$$ as the seller of your item did.

Maybe they didn't think they would get any more bids ?????

Just my HO.
Message 2 of 2
Latest reply