BEWARE Global shipping program

Buyers beware before you purchase from US sellers check that they do not use the Global shipping program. You will have to pay 2 shipping costs. One for the seller to ship the item to the shipping company in the US. And a second exorbitant cost (min of aboutUS$25) to then ship to you. A simple $5 purchase becomes $50 before you know it. To make it worse most of the yanks don't even know they have signed up for it. This has to be one of ebays biggest rip offs yet!
Message 1 of 311
Latest reply
310 REPLIES 310

I would like to know how to track items shipped by PBI .

I can find nothing, I have written to the supplier twice and all they say is contact Ebay.

Message 2 of 311
Latest reply

You should be sent a tracking number when Pitney Bowes actually ships the item....sometimes they use the USPS and sometimes a courier.  Until you get the tracking number you have no idea how it is being shipped.

Message 3 of 311
Latest reply

.sometimes they use the USPS

They never use the USPS, Packages are shipped in bulk by air cargo carriers, and delivered by various locally contracted agents.

Message 4 of 311
Latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

.sometimes they use the USPS

They never use the USPS, Packages are shipped in bulk by air cargo carriers, and delivered by various locally contracted agents.

Sorry, but they do use USPS.   I have had a number of items which have been sent using the GSP (more fool me for buying from those sellers) and they have come by USPS Priority Mail or USPS Priority Express Mail.

Message 5 of 311
Latest reply

Sorry, but they do use USPS.   I have had a number of items which have been sent using the GSP (more fool me for buying from those sellers) and they have come by USPS Priority Mail or USPS Priority Express Mail.

Can you give any details of these.

Was the return address Erlanger, KY?

Did they have individual customs forms?

Did they show signs of possibly being shipped to Erlanger before being forwarded.(label over label)

I suspect that your sellers may have sent the items dierectly to you, misunderstanding the GSP process. This is not uncommon, since misunderstanding and the GSP are practically synonymous.

Message 6 of 311
Latest reply

Without being Lyndal, I suspect that the items she got were in USPS branded packaging.

Whether they went through PB she will have to elucidate, but with her buying only feedback I suspect she has a fair handle on postage methods.

Message 7 of 311
Latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

Can you give any details of these.

Was the return address Erlanger, KY?

Did they have individual customs forms?

Did they show signs of possibly being shipped to Erlanger before being forwarded.(label over label)

I suspect that your sellers may have sent the items dierectly to you, misunderstanding the GSP process. This is not uncommon, since misunderstanding and the GSP are practically synonymous.

It is several weeks ago now so I am a bit hazy on the details of the individual parcels now but I will give you what details I can remember.

The return address on one parcel was the sellers own address...the others I don't remember.

One parcel had no Customs form at all, which I thought a bit strange.  Two parcels had individual Customs forms filled in by hand.

None of them had labels stuck over labels and no mention of Erlanger in sight.

They all had postage labels stuck on them with the USPS service used and $ amount paid.....and very clearly the words Pitney Bowes.

The first two were sent by Priority Mail and were very slow getting here....the third one came Priority Express and was almost as slow.

When they arrived in Australia they wre delivered to me by Australia Post...either my regular postman or the parcel contractor...that does not happen with parcels arriving in Australia by courier services.

I doubt if I have any of the boxes now....they were mostly rather flimsy and poorly packed so the boxes were rather mangled, but I will have a look in the recycle bin over the weekend.

And in case you have doubts that I know what I am talking about....I am married to a Canadian and several of his relatives live in the USA so we have 40 years of experience with both postal systems.  His nephew is a senior pilot with UPS, my daughter works for an International freight/logistics company and my husband and I have had 25 years experience in the courier industry.

Message 8 of 311
Latest reply

It is several weeks ago now so I am a bit hazy on the details of the individual parcels now but I will give you what details I can remember.

The return address on one parcel was the sellers own address...the others I don't remember.

One parcel had no Customs form at all, which I thought a bit strange.  Two parcels had individual Customs forms filled in by hand.

None of them had labels stuck over labels and no mention of Erlanger in sight.

They all had postage labels stuck on them with the USPS service used and $ amount paid.....and very clearly the words Pitney Bowes.

The first two were sent by Priority Mail and were very slow getting here....the third one came Priority Express and was almost as slow.

From that it seems that the GSP was not involved at all in the shipping. Pitney Bowes is famous for postage meters, USPS labels are likely to have been paid for online using a Pitney Bowes app, no connection to the GSP except coincidence and it being another aspect of PB's business.

GSP sent items do not have individualk customs forms, the seller sends to Erlanger as they would to New York, no customs form.

There is no need for one as the prepaid money covers the import clearance of the items as a bulk shipment. \items sent  as yours were were only not charged again for import taxes because of the high import tax threshold Australia, pretty well uniquely in the world, enjoys.

It is probable that the item sent with no customs form was simply incompetence piled on incompetence by the seller.

All you have said supports my original contention. The GSP does not use USPS to do the international shipping and anything that arrives with USPS mailing labels through AusPost has been mis-sent by the seller.

The level or misunderstanding and general **bleep**-up shown by GSP users is very evident on the USA International Trading board and the Canadian Buyer Cental board.

It really seems pretty calm over here.

Message 9 of 311
Latest reply

All of those sellers had the GSP showing on their listings as the service used and I have never before seen the PB name on any of my USPS mail.  It just seems too much of a coincidence that ebay introduces the GSP and some of my USPS mail is also showing PB on the labels.

Since making a conscious effort to avoid sellers using the GSP I have not seen the PB name on any of my USPS mail again.

As for it all being pretty calm here....maybe in comparison to the US boards it is.  Don't forget we have a very small ebay membership in comparison to the US and Canada and a lot of members do not buy from overseas at all.

There are quite a few buyers coming to the boards complaining of the very slow transit times and confusing tracking....if they can track anything at all.  And it is getting worse...transit times are blowing out badly.

FedEx used to deliver here (Sydney) in 4 days....now it is more likely to be 4 weeks.  It is taking 3 weeks for the items to flit all over the USA before even being loaded on a plane for Australia.

Message 10 of 311
Latest reply