Bidding on Auctions

Hey eBay please get your act together as I'm getting sick and tired of putting in a bid thinking that the bid price showing on the item is say for instance $6 and then when I go to put a bid of say $6.05 the actual bid is higher than $6 to start off with.

How about updating the highest bid on an item immediately for **bleep**s sake!

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bidding on Auctions

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

eezie, bidders can retract a bid if done so within 1 hour of it being placed or more than 12 hours left.

That might be what the rules suggest but it isn't what necessarily happens.

I was bidding(a long while back) on an item where the top bidder retracted her bid over 24 hours later, citing she had typed in the wrong amount or some such thing. Not true, as she had only gone up by about $1 & trumped my bid by about 50c. And she didn't correct her bid at all, which is what was supposed to happen.

I understand anyone can make a mistake occasionally but bidders who make an art form of retracting bids should be banned-even if only for a month or whatever-by ebay. It wouldn't be that hard for them to set up an automated system that was triggered if retractions by any particular ID went over a certain figure.

Oh and 900 retractions in 3 months would be about 870 over what i would set as a trigger figure. It's a ridiculous amount to allow of anyone.

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

You ARE putting on a bid more than the increment required ?

So if auction at 6.00 minimum bid placed needs to be 6.50

image host
Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

And yes I know eBay won't read this thread and fix the problem,I'm not going nuts,really I'm not Woman Tongue

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

No kopes I'm not trying to say that lol,what is happening is when I see an item and it has a $6 bid on it and I then go to put a bid on it,it has the bid at $8 and not $6 keep in mind this is before I even put my bid in. 

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

This has been happening for a while now and it sucks,the last bid should be shown on a listing and not all of a sudden go up when you go to put a bid in.

Ok I should have said this happens on the search pages and not on the sellers actual listing page.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

Oh ok, I have had that happen occasionally too.

And yes eBay don't read here. Smiley Tongue Smiley Very Happy

image host
Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Woman TongueWoman WinkWoman LOL

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

Would that be to do with the fact that the other bidder has a bid in place that automatically increments to beat anybody bidding less than their max?

That's my understanding of how auction bids are managed.

i could well be wrong, as I'm not mug enough to think that auctions are a viable way of buying or selling these days.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

Well, I guess you have to be in the right place at the right time, then.

Latest purchase was $9 - one and only bid for two items from the same seller.

Will resell both for a total of $150.

Then I was cheeky enough to ask for (and get)  combined postage   hmmm.gif

I haven't seen any of what Eezi's talking about though

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

Nope what I'm saying is that the item has a bid on it on the search page.

Then when I go to put a bid in, the original bid amount changes to a higher amount,before I even put an amount in.

So here I am thinking and seeing an amount,so then I go to make a bid higher than the amount I see but it changes to a higher amount before I get the chance to bid.

What I think you're saying dave is when you bid an amount and it goes up to another amount a previous bidder has made thus making my bid still lower than theirs,this isn't the case in my situation.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply