Bidding on Auctions

Hey eBay please get your act together as I'm getting sick and tired of putting in a bid thinking that the bid price showing on the item is say for instance $6 and then when I go to put a bid of say $6.05 the actual bid is higher than $6 to start off with.

How about updating the highest bid on an item immediately for **bleep**s sake!

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Bidding on Auctions

eezie, bidders can retract a bid if done so within 1 hour of it being placed or more than 12 hours left.

image host
Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

I know that kopes and that's what I hate as it should be that you can't retract within 12 hours for everyone

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

Totally bogus in my opinion as too many make one bid in the last couple of hours of an auction and then retract it,which I don't give a rats ass about except when it is done on an item I'm bidding on lol.

I get out bid I then say ok and go bid on something else only too find out later that the **bleep** that has out bid me decided to retract their bid alas leaving me having to pay for the win which I didn't think would happen which puts me out of pocket as I won something else already.

So I won't be paying for anything in the future when these sneeky bidders do this just to find out what your highest bids are lol.

I call them one bid **bleep**ers

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

I'm normally a last second bidder, but put some bids on early the other night as the auctions finished in the middle of the night. Not long after, I got emails stating that there had been a bid retraction, so there was a chance I'd win the auction (or some such rot). I went and clicked on the anonymous ID and nearly fell off my chair.

They were yellow star feedback and had over 900 bid retractions in the last 6 months. They had also place an obscene amount of bids, up around 900 in the last 3 months. At a guess I would say they are seeing what the highest bid is as the retractions were within 2 minutes of placing the bid.

THAT's the type of thing eBay should be cracking down on. Blatant abuse of the rules, but nothing anyone can do about it because of the ID being anonymous.

Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

I had that happen a few years back as well tippy, I noticed a lot of bid retractions on one of my regular sellers. Not as high as yours but it was a couple of hundred in a month.

There was nothing I could do about it (I did try) and eventually after my seller reported them several times, the "buyer" was NARU'd.

So much for "Trust and Safety".................................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

eezie, bidders can retract a bid if done so within 1 hour of it being placed or more than 12 hours left.

That might be what the rules suggest but it isn't what necessarily happens.

I was bidding(a long while back) on an item where the top bidder retracted her bid over 24 hours later, citing she had typed in the wrong amount or some such thing. Not true, as she had only gone up by about $1 & trumped my bid by about 50c. And she didn't correct her bid at all, which is what was supposed to happen.

I understand anyone can make a mistake occasionally but bidders who make an art form of retracting bids should be banned-even if only for a month or whatever-by ebay. It wouldn't be that hard for them to set up an automated system that was triggered if retractions by any particular ID went over a certain figure.

Oh and 900 retractions in 3 months would be about 870 over what i would set as a trigger figure. It's a ridiculous amount to allow of anyone.

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply