Can seller change postage after final bid?

Hi, I have a question about postage, I bid on an item and won it and the postage was $13.00.

But later when I get the invoice, the postage is $17.40;  so I thought I must have made a mistake, so I checked the item again, it had calculated postage and it says $13.

I don't know what to do really, I have to pay, I don't want to be a non payer, but I don't want to pay any more than the original listing, even if it is only $4.

Why isn't the seller bound by the original listing?

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

have you sent a message to the seller and asked about the change of postage?  That would be the first thing I would do.

You have 4 days to pay so you can send a message and wait a day before doing anything else.

What was the listing title of the item?  (not the seller name or listing number, just the title).  We can take a look at the listing if you put the title up here (there are other ways to find the item but I am on holidyas and feeling lazy 🙂 )

Yes, of course, I sent a message immediately;  the seller hasn't answered yet and I was just checking what my options may be.

I don't want to be too specific, the seller has good feedback and rating, so I want to wait a while before plastering him all over the boards here.

Perhaps I can use paypal and use the  pay anyone option?   Would I be still covered by paypal protection?

Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

Perhaps I can use paypal and use the pay anyone option?   Would I be still covered by paypal protection?

I would wait for an answer before considering that option.

The seller isn't allowed to charge you extra. It's a policy violation. You can report him and if you don't pay and receive a strike hopefully it will be removed if you appeal it and explain everything to ebay.

TCT
Message 5 of 34
Latest reply

If the seller is using calculated postage, what was displayed in the listing may not be the actual amount charged when you go through checkout - I know you've received an invoice, not a checkout quote, with a different amount, but it's possible the amount is being calculated based on different locations, which is exactly how calculated postage is supposed to work.

When you look at listings with calculated postage, the amount displayed is based on the postcode you've previously  entered/confirmed, which can differ from any other saved and registered postal addresses and therefore alter the amount (for example, I'm in SA but I can change location to a NSW postcode to get a quote for P&H if I want to send it there. All subsequent search results will display calculated postage to that NSW location until I change it back, so it's independent of my registered postal address.

I'm not saying that's definitely what's happened, just that it may be a possibility the seller has invoiced based on a different postcode, so definitely wait for a reply before anything else, just in case the $17.40 is the correct charge for where you want the item sent.

Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

Hi, I have double checked again, and the postcode displayed is my postcode;   no answer from seller yet.

Message 7 of 34
Latest reply

Once a seller wanted to add insurance after I had won an auction, and for some reason I didn't object because he did sound like an honest person/seller and I was afraid of what would happen if the item didn't arrive if I refused to pay for insurance, as it was not cheap, and on top of that it was sort of rare. So I just paid the additional 8 dollars. ;\

Message 8 of 34
Latest reply

there seems to be no question of that, the invoice just says standard postage.

besides, I understood from these boards that insurance should be the seller's worry not the buyer's.

Message 9 of 34
Latest reply

that's right it is standard postage only.

I have had a reply from the seller:

EBay shows postage only.
A small amount has been added for packing costs.

now I'm really unhappy, if I don't pay, he wont send, and I really wanted them

Message 10 of 34
Latest reply