Can the Seller change the price of the item after I have paid and demand I pay more or cancel?

tzar_md
Community Member

Hi there,

I bought an item using 'Buy it now' and paid forthe item immediatly using Paypal. 

I was then contacted by the seller advising the price of the item is in fact double what I paid and I must either pay the difference or cancel the order.

Is this allowed?

Thanks kindly,

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Can the Seller change the price of the item after I have paid and demand I pay more or cancel?

It is against eBay policy and likened to false advertising.

If it is a new seller and appears to be a genuine mistake, naturally one would give the benefit of doubt and accept a cancellation.

If it is a seasoned seller I would not accept a cancellation and expect the transaction to be completed.

If not I would post negative feedback with "Seller refused to complete trans wanting more money".

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I'd go further.

The seller is telling you that you have to pay or cancel.

No, you do not. You don't have to do either thing and if i were you, I would not.

If you cancel, that takes all onus off the seller. He can fob it off as your decision & he suffers no penalty.

Ignore the messages or just say you are not paying more and not cancelling. It does not mean I think you will get the item, incidentally. The seller can cancel the sale himself. If he wants to cancel, that is what you should do,  let him cancel it himself, where he'll have to tick it was his decision, not yours.

I'm not as kind hearted as kopenhagen, I think even if this is a new seller, then this is still the way to proceed. The seller may as well learn how ebay works now rather than later, and thinking he can sell something then demand more money is not on.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

It is against eBay policy and likened to false advertising.

If it is a new seller and appears to be a genuine mistake, naturally one would give the benefit of doubt and accept a cancellation.

If it is a seasoned seller I would not accept a cancellation and expect the transaction to be completed.

If not I would post negative feedback with "Seller refused to complete trans wanting more money".

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you for your response... I will be taking your advice! 

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I'd go further.

The seller is telling you that you have to pay or cancel.

No, you do not. You don't have to do either thing and if i were you, I would not.

If you cancel, that takes all onus off the seller. He can fob it off as your decision & he suffers no penalty.

Ignore the messages or just say you are not paying more and not cancelling. It does not mean I think you will get the item, incidentally. The seller can cancel the sale himself. If he wants to cancel, that is what you should do,  let him cancel it himself, where he'll have to tick it was his decision, not yours.

I'm not as kind hearted as kopenhagen, I think even if this is a new seller, then this is still the way to proceed. The seller may as well learn how ebay works now rather than later, and thinking he can sell something then demand more money is not on.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

If it was an auction, I'd say fair enough because eBay recommend that you start auctions at 99c and quite often that's what they sell for. If someone is selling a $200 item for 99c, I can understand them wanting to bail out. However, this was a BIN. The seller set the price, not the buyers or the market. The seller did.

I would not accept a cancellation. If they send one, hit decline. By declining it, the seller loses the fees they've paid on the sale of the item. If you paid a reasonable amount, then their fees will be a reasonable amount too. Roughly 10% of sale price and postage cost.

If you choose to leave negative feedback, I would say something along the lines of what Kopes said, but I would add "for a BIN item" on the end. That way other buyers can see that it wasn't just an auction gone wrong, it was a deliberate act by the seller.

Can I ask what the item was and what you paid, if it's not something of a personal nature? It might give us an idea of whether the seller really did stuff up (e.g listing for $50 instead of $500), or whether they were just trying to pull a swifty.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

If a seller lists something expensive at a starting price of  eg 99c and it sells at that, then I personally think they would be crazy to honour the transaction. In their place, I would apologise to the buyer but say I was cancelling the sale.

For a buy it now item, it is a bit of a mystery how the price could be wrong unless as you say, they made a typo.

All the same, still their error, still their responsibility to cancel, not the buyer's.

I'm always a bit surprised that some sellers ask for more money after a sale as whichever way you swing it, that is never going to be popular with buyers. Well, I wouldn't think so.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

boggo58
Community Member

@tzar_md wrote:

Hi there,

I bought an item using 'Buy it now' and paid forthe item immediatly using Paypal. 

I was then contacted by the seller advising the price of the item is in fact double what I paid and I must either pay the difference or cancel the order.

Is this allowed?

Thanks kindly,

Tell them where to go, and cancel the order

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@boggo58 wrote:

Tell them where to go, and cancel the order

Noooo.....let the seller cancel the order so they receive a defect.

If the buyer cancels the order they get the blame and the seller gets off scott free.   In this case they do not deserve to get away with it.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply