Reply
Highlighted
Community Member
Posts: 356
Registered: ‎03-05-2012

Delivery time lies

Hi all, ordered a computer tablet from Malaysia because it gave a delivery time of a week. Made the purchase and waited three days before asking for a tracking number and postage confirmation. Their reply was, please be patient and wait 20 to 30 more days for delivery, have a nice day.   I replied that I will be expecting delivery by the end of next week or I will be considering further actions. The tracking still shows that Aust Post has approved of the delivery, but no events, so it will not be here within the promised time frame. I bet they are just drop shipping out of China and we, the buyer are mislead from the beginning. It is not only the Chinese who are getting away with the lies. I may as well have purchased it directly from China, and saved around 30%.

Community Member
Posts: 10,753
Registered: ‎12-19-2011

Re: Delivery time lies

in reply to audistarelectronics

1 week from Malaysia? And you believed that?

Community Member
Posts: 20,830
Registered: ‎07-23-2006

Re: Delivery time lies

in reply to davewil1964

I lump Malaysia in with China....similar cheap junk, similar fakes, similar shipping times.

Why would anyone think it is going to be any different to trading with Chinese sellers in China when there is a huge Chinese population in Malaysia anyway?

Community Member
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎04-09-2011

Re: Delivery time lies

in reply to davewil1964

You say aust post tracking - if its coming from Malaysia then it wont be Aust post tracking and if you believed it was possible to get it here in 1 week then sorry .... your living in a dream world.

 

For someone with over a thousand feedback - you should be aware by now of the fiction of ebays delivery times. 

Community Member
Posts: 2,585
Registered: ‎06-24-2013

Re: Delivery time lies

[ Edited ]
in reply to stickerswa

stickerswa wrote:

You say aust post tracking - if its coming from Malaysia then it wont be Aust post tracking and if you believed it was possible to get it here in 1 week then sorry .... your living in a dream world.

 

For someone with over a thousand feedback - you should be aware by now of the fiction of ebays delivery times. 


I (fairly) regularly make photobooks. The company has Australian offices but the printing is done in Malaysia.

Those books are usually on my doorstep within 4-5 days of uploading and i once received some on day 2.

I'm not sure if they come via Auspost, I just know they come express delivery.

 

Of course, I am not talking about an ebay purchase here but I just wanted to say that something can come from Malaysia & be here in a week.

 

If i bought from a company that has an estimated arrival date of one week I'd be surprised, yes, but I would assume they must be sending it express.

If they had that date coming up in their ad but then their actual time was 30 days longer, I'd be filing an item not received claim a few days after the last estimated date passed. It's false advertising and they could fix it. Other sellers know how to move out the estimated dates and so should they.

Community Member
Posts: 356
Registered: ‎03-05-2012

Re: Delivery time lies

in reply to audistarelectronics

Well, Aust Post has it in Chullora, and it should be delivered to me on Mon, all being equal. I received a 3kg parcel from Hongkong on Mon that was only sent last Wed, so it can be done by the right sellers. I got my fur up when I was told I must wait another 20 to 30 days than what the original listing promised.

Community Member
Posts: 37
Registered: ‎06-23-2017

Re: Delivery time lies

in reply to audistarelectronics

I am interested in why you considered a company in Malaysia would drop ship from China to Australia seems overly complicated?

Community Member
Posts: 356
Registered: ‎03-05-2012

Re: Delivery time lies

in reply to bof2814-0

With their extended delivery time, I thought they may have been ordering from China, after they received my purchase. Not really drop shipping I suppose if they ordered in then posted out.

Community Member
Posts: 9,937
Registered: ‎05-25-2010

Re: Delivery time lies

[ Edited ]
in reply to audistarelectronics

I'm not sure I really understand this thread - eBay's ETAs are only influenced by the seller, but they certainly aren't created or decided by them (and by influenced, I mean that it's based on the handling time and service selected), so they aren't promises being made by the seller. And even then, it's not like eBay's calculation system is perfect - they view all couriers as "express" delivery services, when in a lot of cases nothing could be further from the truth. 

 

I mean, I once bought an item from Belgium, and eBay's ETA was 3 days away from the purchase. I immediately dismissed that and gave it a good few weeks for arrival. Another time, I purchased an item from within Australia on a Saturday, eBay's ETA said delivery on Monday, so not even 1 full business day passing....and that Monday being a public holiday. Smiley LOL

Community Member
Posts: 356
Registered: ‎03-05-2012

Re: Delivery time lies

in reply to digital*ghost

Understand what you are saying, yes, but what got me was one minute it was around a week delivery and after the money was paid it was blown out to the 20 to 30 days. They cant have things both ways, either one or the other. As I stated earlier, it is now in Sydney, which is inline with what the listing promised, so all will be good. It is when you get no tracking info, and a blunt reply telling me to just wait it out when I ask for tracking that I start asking questions.

Community Member
Posts: 2,585
Registered: ‎06-24-2013

Re: Delivery time lies

in reply to digital*ghost

digital*ghost wrote:

I'm not sure I really understand this thread - eBay's ETAs are only influenced by the seller, but they certainly aren't created or decided by them (and by influenced, I mean that it's based on the handling time and service selected), so they aren't promises being made by the seller. And even then, it's not like eBay's calculation system is perfect - they view all couriers as "express" delivery services, when in a lot of cases nothing could be further from the truth. 

 

I mean, I once bought an item from Belgium, and eBay's ETA was 3 days away from the purchase. I immediately dismissed that and gave it a good few weeks for arrival. Another time, I purchased an item from within Australia on a Saturday, eBay's ETA said delivery on Monday, so not even 1 full business day passing....and that Monday being a public holiday. Smiley LOL


I've bought items within Australia where the ETA was 3 weeks away. So obviously a seller can influence it, as you said. Maybe not right down to the exact dates etc but they have enough control they can prevent an item showing as one week delivery if they know it is more likely to be one month.

 

I don't think I am an unreasonable buyer and I don't expect parcels to arrive to the exact date, I allow leeway, but I expect the ETA to be a ball park figure.

 

It just makes for disgruntled buyers if an ad says one thing then the seller says another that is very different.

Community Member
Posts: 9,937
Registered: ‎05-25-2010

Re: Delivery time lies

in reply to audistarelectronics
That's one of the reasons why I would love to have the ETAs removed from my listings all together.

The seller's reply was probably canned and based on maximum timeframes. I have a stock standard reply for similar enquiries from international buyers as well. It's true that quite a few will receive a package in around a week, but I always advise an average of 3 weeks, as well as to allow at least 4 weeks before requesting further action.
Community Member
Posts: 2,135
Registered: ‎05-18-2013

Re: Delivery time lies

in reply to audistarelectronics

I hate buyers that ask for tracking details and has an item been posted yet when buyers don't give sellers enough time to do these things.

A listing states item will be sent within 4 days for example, and then a buyer asks an hour after purchasing an item has the seller posted yet c'mon really.

Even after 3 days you jumped and I don't see why lol.Woman Tongue

Community Member
Posts: 9,937
Registered: ‎05-25-2010

Re: Delivery time lies

in reply to springyzone

springyzone wrote:

I've bought items within Australia where the ETA was 3 weeks away. So obviously a seller can influence it, as you said. Maybe not right down to the exact dates etc but they have enough control they can prevent an item showing as one week delivery if they know it is more likely to be one month.

 

I don't think I am an unreasonable buyer and I don't expect parcels to arrive to the exact date, I allow leeway, but I expect the ETA to be a ball park figure.

 

It just makes for disgruntled buyers if an ad says one thing then the seller says another that is very different.


I'd agree with you if seller's had any degree of control over delivery times, but at the end of the day they have none, and on eBay that makes setting up handling times / postage services very much a double-edged sword.

 

I'm certain the seller I purchased from in Belguim would have been horrified if I told them eBay was saying I can expect to receve my purchase 3 days after I paid for it. 

 

A seller has to decide between telling people how fast they will post an item, and how fast it's likely to be delivered, because they can't do both thanks to ebay displaying optimum timeframes to encourage sales - this is especially true for international postage items. eg Australia Post don't quote delivery timeframes, they quote arrival at destination country timeframes (that is, when it hits the shores, before it's even looked at by customs). eBay then take that estimate and base their ETAs to international buyers on it. With my 2 day handling time, US buyers would often see an ETA around 8 days away, which is frustratingly unrealistic. 

 

If I was selling internationally here, I would be faced with the choice of having an extra long handling time to try and provide something even close to resembling an accurate international ETA, thus likely costing me local sales and increasing the instances of buyers messaging me to ask if I can post sooner etc, or have an actual handling time but significantly increase the risk of dissatisified international buyers. 

 

ETAs should be largely dismissed, IMHO.