Did I just pay extra shipping for no reason?

So I am pretty new to Ebay and I hadn't ever had a problem combining shipping before. usually at the cart I get the discount and that's that. but this time I bought 3 items from a seller who said he combined shipping, but when i added them to the cart there was no discount. so i requested an invoice and it said the seller does not combine shipping. the thing is i wanted those items now and even without the discount they were reasonable. so i just went ahead and bought them paying shipping cost 3 times hoping that i could get a discount afterwards. once before someone had overcharged me and they gave me the discounted cost as a refund afterwards.

Did i get outmaneuvered by a pro seller because I am a noob? or should i be demanding a refund for two of those shipping costs? What would you guys do if you made a mistake like me? I already messaged them asking for a refund of two of those shipping costs but they haven't replied for a whole week.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

No, but you have been a noob and made it more difficult for  the seller.

A seller is charged fees on postage costs as well.

Combined postage means items are combined into the same parcel so you don't need to take delivery of 3 parcels.

It doesn't necessarily mean discounted postage.

But in future send a message to the seller asking to send an invoice with adjusted postage costs if they discount the postage.

And don't pay until you get the correct invoice.

image host
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

@michaeanthon_148 wrote:

So I am pretty new to Ebay and I hadn't ever had a problem combining shipping before. usually at the cart I get the discount and that's that. but this time I bought 3 items from a seller who said he combined shipping, but when i added them to the cart there was no discount. so i requested an invoice and it said the seller does not combine shipping. the thing is i wanted those items now and even without the discount they were reasonable. so i just went ahead and bought them paying shipping cost 3 times hoping that i could get a discount afterwards. once before someone had overcharged me and they gave me the discounted cost as a refund afterwards.

Did i get outmaneuvered by a pro seller because I am a noob? or should i be demanding a refund for two of those shipping costs? What would you guys do if you made a mistake like me?

Whoa there!!

Who said that combined shipping means you only pay for one lot of shipping out of 3?

Combined shipping only means items come packed together and there may be a slight discount on the total shipping cost but it is not likely to be a 66% discount.

You can't really go demanding anything, because you have already bought and paid for the items.

What you should have done is ask for a combined invoice & given the seller time to respond.

You made a decision not to & the seller may decide to refund a little bit but they don't actually have to.

I don't think you got outmanouevred by a crafty seller, it might just be someone who doesn't know how to set up the system to combine costs etc

Why don't you just write to the seller and explain what happened and ask if there is any room for a discount on postage even though you have paid as you thought the system would do it automatically Be polite & you never know your luck.

But be aware the amount of the discount is not necessarily set. It might be 10%, might be more or less.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

What would I do if I made the same mistake?

I would pay what I owe and not demand anything

NOT the seller's fault, as you said, your mistake

I would not respond either if someone 'demanded' a refund for something that has no valid reason to refund

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

My items are all around the same weight, but I have worked out my postage so that when items are combined, the increased postage cost is covered.

To give you an example, if you buy 1-2 items, the combined postage will allow me to post in a flat letter, but if you buy 3 items they have to go in a small parcel. If you buy more than 4 items they have to go in a medium satchel which costs over $13.00.

You can't pay for 4 items and expect me to post for the cost of 1.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

the seller shipped them all as one package. but yes next time i wont pay until i get correct invoice.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

the seller literally said in the ad they combine shipping and every item after is free because they sent it all in one package. they said on the page that they combine shipping but when i bought it i couldnt find a way to do it.

I tried to message the seller but they ignoring me.
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

i was buying cards. they seller said in the ad first card costs $5 and every card after is free. i bought 3 cards. he shipped them all together.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@michaeanthon_148 wrote:
the seller literally said in the ad they combine shipping and every item after is free because they sent it all in one package. they said on the page that they combine shipping but when i bought it i couldnt find a way to do it.

I tried to message the seller but they ignoring me.

How long did you give the seller to answer you? From your first description, it sounded as if you sent a message but then were in a hurry so made the decision to pay there & then rather than wait for a reply.

You have to realise this: You may be on a phone with access 24/7. but not everyone is.

Take me for instance. I'm not your seller but if I did sell something, I only access the internet on a home computer. That might be a couple of times a day but when I leave the room, that's it. I don't see messages till I come back & that could be hours. I wouldn't be ignoring you, I just wouldn't even know there was a message there.

I've been annoyed in the past by buyers who assume this 24/7 access. I once had a gumtree buyer who sat in a car and sent a message to gumtree instead of coming to knock on the door to tell me she had arrived to look at something. I was in a home that was part of an estate, being sold. Nowhere near a computer.

Don't assume a seller is ignoring you unless you wait a day or so & still no answer.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply