Dishonest seller selling junk as new

kjonas75
Community Member

Purchased a new electric pump Carter P4600HP from a seller based in Canada.

Item received was non-operational, and seller advised no return / no warranty.

I left a negative feedback and below is the reply I received from the seller:-

"No I ll keep the money Thanks, Nice when i get old junk for free and can sell it to people like you, you think you one negative feed back really effects me lololol HAHAHA".

The seller has admitted to selling old junk listed as new, then boasted about it.

I have since raised the issue with Visa who will take up the case with Ebay / Paypal.

I no longer feel safe buying on Ebay unfortunately, and hope such sellers can be removed.

KJ

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Dishonest seller selling junk as new

Seller has left you a green dot with a negative comment.

You can have that removed, and they will get a slap from ebay.

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

kjonas75
Community Member
Thank you imastawka.
Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

Just to add to my previous post, if you do have to go down the track of a Paypal dispute it's essential that you sign up for the "limited return postage offer" BEFORE opening a dispute  with them. and it's also imperative that you can show the tracking AND a photo of the parcel at the PO after the tracking labels have been applied with the seller's address showing, or you'll find it very difficult to get the postage reimbursed to you.

You seem to have a lot of problems buying on eBay, perhaps you should buy/bid more carefully in the future...............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

kjonas75
Community Member
I only seem to have issues with bad sellers advertising falsely.
Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

kjonas, just had a quick peep into your f/back - and it's a regular horror story!

It most certainly looks like a heaps of bad luck/bad sellers - I can only put it down to the category that you buy in.

Unusually large percentage of sellers in that category seem to be below par.

It's a wander you still even keep shopping on Ebay.

But, I guess - if getting a refund with credit cards is so easy - why not - as there are some good sellers in between the bad ones - so you still eventually come out OK.

Although, your current seller doesn't appear to be so bad - not what I would call a shonk - he's only got two negs, one of them yours - and he was mocking you in his reply - that wasn't agreement with your opinion that he sells old stuff - so that in itself isn't going to help you as a proof of anything. If we can all see it, so will the c/card people. And PP don't look at the f/back anyway, nor any corespondence for that matter. You'll need to somehow convince them that it's not working, a bit hard I would imagine as you can't really take a photo of it not working to submit with your claim.

But, best of luck with it all.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

kjonas75
Community Member
I haven't made a large number of purchases but only have 4 or 5 negative experiences, so perhaps the previous sellers rating has gone down.
If a seller has 98% positive feedback, that is usually good enough for me.

I am not sure who's profile you looked at, but most of the negative experiences I had have over 98.4% positive rating.
Let me know which ones you are referring to.

In terms of providing feedback, I am honest but mostly provide positive feedback (3 negatives in 24 months including this).
Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

@kjonas75 wrote:

If a seller has 98% positive feedback, that is usually good enough for me.

kjonas, most experienced board members here recommend not dealing with high-volume sellers with less than 99.5% positive feedback.

You seem to have had problems with around 20% of your buys on eBay (19 out of 93 feedbacks, includes negs, neuts, revised and withdrawn feedback), prehaps you should raise your 98% cutoff to a 99.5% cutoff to avoid so many problems.

Spoiler
or of course make the feedback private so that they can't be seen.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Yes I might have to raise the positive feedbacks to at least 99%.

Seeing some of the comments on here comes from people with private feedback, I have gone ahead and made mine private also.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

in all fairness to the opening poster, the feedback % when the OP bought was running at 96.8% for a smalltime seller.

I know that that is still well below what many of us would find acceptable, but my point is that their % was not 93.8% when the item was purchased.

96.8% for a small time seller would not put me off buying, it would just make me think twice before committing and pay more attention to the listing description and maybe ask some questions about the item.

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

You would really be better off opening an ebay return request first. They would either force the seller to refund without return or force the seller to pay for the return. If fr some reason the dispute is not found in your favour you can try Paypal however they will probably insist on you paying for the return. I have never heard of Visa or a credit card provider agreeing a chargeback without the buyer having to return the item.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 20 of 20
Latest reply