Do Ebay realise they are killing their own business?

fa1r1e
Community Member

I used to like to browse EBAY.  Now if I do, I get spammed.

Sometimes I would buy stuff I wasn't even thinking of buying as a result of random browsing.  But now, if I want to find out about an item I actually bought - check for notifications - I have to wade through a whole heap of ebay spam about a whole heap of random items I looked at.

It's really trashed the EBAY experience for me as a buyer and browser.  EBAY has gone from being first option to last.  

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Some of their emails leave me at a bit of a loss for words when I think about how it seemed like a good idea to whoever suggested it, not to mention the people who thought, 'great idea, let's do it!" (eg spamming me about items I searched for or looked at, but didn't buy, add to cart, or even put on my watch list).

There's some settings you can chage to reduce the amount of spam you get, if you go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences - Communication preferences. Expand the "promotions & surveys" section and untick any you don't want to receive.

Aside from that, if you're a casual browser / buyer, the best thing would probably be to not log into your eBay account to browse, only when you want to buy. 

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I'm hearing you! The ones that drive me mad are the "XYZ item is no longer available".....and it's MY own item on MY selling account that has just relisted! It's bad enough that I get emails telling me an item I stupidly clicked on is no longer available, but for my own items? EBay has really lost the plot with this one.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

If you are searching for an item on Google, often there is an ebay link "purporting" to link to the exact item you are searching for.

The link on the google page even states the EXACT item in the sub-heading.

Now when you click on the link, you get a whole list of "similar" items, none of which you are looking for.

So now I think the ebay links are just a scam and don't click on them......

I imagine other people are doing the same...... Who needs competition when ebay are killing their own business.....

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

gumtree does this too. I think it is quite common

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I think rather than do they realise you should be asking do they care?
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I'm not great @ Facebook; But a few weeks back saw some silverware I'd sold already on the ebay scroller thingy on Facebook. I knew it wasn't available anymore - but there it was! I can't get clicks & sales on my items up for sale - but they show sold old ones on Facebook? 

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply