Ebay buyer protection is misleading

An item 9 ( a tablet) that was carefully packaged in bubble wrap and described as new was sadly upon opening it dented on the back of the tablet. I noted that seller never took pictures of the back on the listing ! I took pictures as soon as I opened it of the damage to show seller and the same day contacted the seller. She blamed me or Australia post, anyone but admitting the fault was caused by them and got very very rude and personal. I opened up a dispute, again more rude messages from seller, so I asked ebay centre to step in. I'm afraid they have also been stressful to deal with. When I called them afetr a few days of dispute the ebay rep said it's been decided in your favour but we need to get the seller to pay for return postage so it's on "hold" for 5 days. When I call back after 5 days they apologise and say seller was sent an incorrect email/not contacted properly so have to put case on "hold for 5 more days". I call back after that time frame and rep after placing me on hold for 20 mins to talk to supervisor say case is closed and made in my favour and I can keep the item and will be refunded with 48 hours pending approval by the higher diviision in their department. Next day I get an email which says case "on hold for 5 days", I call and ask why given the decision made by THEM yesterday to approve in my favour, their explanation, "seller wasn't contacted." same excuse used the week before...something fishy going on and someone is lieing to me.  They said an incorrect decision was made and seller still needs to be contacted and case on hold for further 5 days. I think this is highly unprofessional and treating people like this is wrong. I won't be buying expensive items on ebay and the resolution centre seem to do and say what they like.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

On a positive note though, a few weeks ago I bought a mobile phone , wanted to collect in person as local but seller was evasive( I know why now ) to me, anyway, next day eBay contact me and said they have removed listing as the seller was a fraud , must have done the same before ie scam people take the $ and not send God knows to how many, so anyway got my money back, it was reassuring to know eBay are on top of such sellers, must have a investigative section.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Finally got my money refunded so all good in the end I hope, faith restored back with eBay !

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Aside from the time it takes to contact ebay support, holding on the phone (40 mins) average each time , total waste of one's time, I've learnt to buy electronics and high end items from stores that offer warranties and returns under Australian consumer laws, not worth the stress to buy off sellers on ebay unless item is less $100, also check the sellers feedback, the one I bought off had 2 negatives, one for unauthentic item and another again for item not described. Alot of scammers on ebay these days.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

@ummaiibzaya69 wrote:

Aside from the time it takes to contact ebay support, holding on the phone (40 mins) average each time , total waste of one's time, I've learnt to buy electronics and high end items from stores that offer warranties and returns under Australian consumer laws, not worth the stress to buy off sellers on ebay unless item is less $100, also check the sellers feedback, the one I bought off had 2 negatives, one for unauthentic item and another again for item not described. Alot of scammers on ebay these days.

Which most members of the boards, buyers or sellers, have been advocating since at least 2009. And probably long before.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I purchased a GPS sat Nav when received it had broken screen. I contacted the seller and was asked to send photos which I did. I  was then asked to return and they would either replace or refund me the money including postage. I asked for refund as I was leaving for 2 months holiday in the USA. which I required the GPS for. This is back in June 2014. It has dragged on and I have been trying through ebay and paypal to retreieve a new unit or refund. They, have dragged this non payment and no replacement for over 6 months which is a ploy to exceed the time purchasers can get a refund. Now i am $120.00 out of pocket and no replacement of GPS unit. I have tried several times to get help with no satisfaction. Where can I go next.  

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

There is nowhere else for you to go....you only had 45 days to open a dispute back in the middle of last year.

If you funded your paypal payment with a cred card or Visa debit card you could ask your bank about a chargeback but you are probably too late for that too.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@haunted81 wrote:

I purchased a GPS sat Nav when received it had broken screen. I contacted the seller and was asked to send photos which I did. I  was then asked to return and they would either replace or refund me the money including postage. I asked for refund as I was leaving for 2 months holiday in the USA. which I required the GPS for. This is back in June 2014. It has dragged on and I have been trying through ebay and paypal to retreieve a new unit or refund. They, have dragged this non payment and no replacement for over 6 months which is a ploy to exceed the time purchasers can get a refund. Now i am $120.00 out of pocket and no replacement of GPS unit. I have tried several times to get help with no satisfaction. Where can I go next.  

In a word, nowhere. You fell for an old trick ( stalling for time) You have left Neg Feedback and now time to move forwards. In the future, open a dispute sooner.  BTW the ID will be removed shortly. You cannot name & shame on here.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

So again I ring back after the 5 day hold period ( even if you send them emails and they say they will reply don't believe it as they rarely hardly ever do ) ! So again they say " we will write to the seller again" call back again.....what a joke, powerless really to do anything except keep holding and calling. So bottom line, they keep writing to the seller and maybe they think by being pestistant then and drag it on they will force the person, so much for promising to make a fast decision.
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

On a positive note though, a few weeks ago I bought a mobile phone , wanted to collect in person as local but seller was evasive( I know why now ) to me, anyway, next day eBay contact me and said they have removed listing as the seller was a fraud , must have done the same before ie scam people take the $ and not send God knows to how many, so anyway got my money back, it was reassuring to know eBay are on top of such sellers, must have a investigative section.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Finally got my money refunded so all good in the end I hope, faith restored back with eBay !
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply