Electrical compliance when selling electrical appliances into Australia

Some friendly advice for ebay sellers to the Australian market

Are you aware that it is illegal to sell electrical appliances within Australia that are designed to be plugged into a mains power outlet unless they have an Australian compliant plug correctly fitted to the 240V cable.

Supplying an EU-UK/AUS plug adaptor for Australian consumers is not compliant. If your electrical products are sold bare wired or have an incorrect plug then your company is leaving itself wide open to statutory prosecution and potential litigation if a consumer is injured using an electrically powered product that you sell here.

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Thank you!! Im guessing you saw my other thread and decided to post this.

http://community.ebay.com.au/topic/Selling/Getting-Electrical-Product/500165288?ts=1372078763591#msg505216444

I didn't think it would be legal but i wanted to find that out first.

If it was compliant i knew i would still need to get it certified, but at least now i know there's no point even thinking about certifying it or selling it.

What annoys me is that so many people are selling products like this and not even thinking about whether it is legal or not.

Message 2 of 45
Latest reply

Do you know if it is legal to have a product that has been rewired with an aussie plug?

Message 3 of 45
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

What annoys me is that so many people are selling products like this and not even thinking about whether it is legal or not.

Are they listing on ebay.au or other sites?

Message 4 of 45
Latest reply

Illegal in the context of the laws of the land.

If you bring into this country something which is not Australian Standards compliant you leave yourself wide open to both criminal prosecution and civil action, and ignorance is no defense.

That is, if you bring it in, it is your responsibility, and yours alone, that is Australian standards compliant, because if you don’t and something goes wrong,  you are both criminally and civilly liable for any injury or damage caused.

Worst case scenario - you bring it in, it isn’t Australian standards complaint, someone else uses it, is electrocuted and dies, you end up behind bars for manslaughter.

Sort of puts that cheap laptop charger bought direct frame China in a whole new light.  

Message 5 of 45
Latest reply

Hi, can you please tell me where to fin this information in an offical document? i am having trouble getting a refund after being sold a product with oversease plug from an australian store. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 6 of 45
Latest reply

It would help if you could please give a few more details

which Australian state you are in ?

and what type of plug is it ?

Most States Departments of Fair Trading have some basic fact sheets available on applicance standards

Message 7 of 45
Latest reply

I have only just realised that I've purchased a non-compliant Bass Amplifier (120V, 60Hz) in Victoria, Australia.

The seller did NOT state this in the eBay item description or to me personally. I unknowingly connected this non-compliant device to Australian mains (240V, 50Hz), there was a loud hum and I then quickly turned the amp off to avoid a hazardous situation. Only then did I realise (in extreme fine print) on the back of the amplifier that the device was non-compliant.

The product is stated as non-refundable.

I don't want to give the seller negative feedback as I'd possibly get negative feedback in return.

What's the best course of action to take in Victoria?

Thanks in advance.

Message 8 of 45
Latest reply

It does not matter what the seller says about refunds you are entitled to refund if the item is not as described.

Before you even think of leaving feedback you need to contact the seller and try and sort it out with him.   And he cannot leave you bad feedback anyway.

Was there anything in the listing to indicate that it was not compliant?

Perhaps you could post the item number hereso someone may be able to help you.

Message 9 of 45
Latest reply

I wouldn't even bother thinking about feedback at this stage, that is the least of your problems.

Priority one is to get a refund.

If the item is non compliant and if that is illegal, I would be ringing ebay. It is an item not as expected. I guess you can't say not as described as such as it may not have been specified in the listing. But it definitely sounds as if it is not suitable for the purpose it was bought for.

As lyndel said, it doesn't matter two hoots really what a shop or a seller of new products on ebay might say about no refunds. That only applies when the item is fully functional and you are wanting a change of mind refund.

If items are faulty or not fit for the intended purpose they were sold for, that's a different ball game.

I'd be putting in a claim (not sure which would be better, through ebay or paypal).

You will most likely need to return the item but hopefully postage will be the responsibility of the seller.

Then give your feedback & what you put is up to you. If it were me, I'd make it negative but factual. Negative because we are talking a serious safety issue.

The seller can't touch you, don't worry. Sellers can only give positive feedback or nothing.

Message 10 of 45
Latest reply