Empty envelope delivered

Hi all, ordered 20 blank 8.5gb dvd discs. Seller noted they would only be sent in sleeves, not a spindle. Fair enough if packed properly, but all I received was an empty A3 size brown paper envelope with the end ripped open and no contents. At a guess I would say thet 20 dvd's would require better packing than that, as the weight could easily tear a paper envelope. Not too sure wheather to just request a refund from the seller, or open a non delivered item dispute. The seller had no tracking for the package, but as it was well overdue, did concede that they were having problems with ''deliveries'' when I was chasing up the order a couple of days ago.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Empty envelope delivered

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Do not open a Not Received dispute.....you never know what proof the seller may have that he did send the items.

The correct dispute in this case is Not As Described.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Empty envelope delivered

Thanks Lyndal, will await a reply to my message to the seller, and go from there.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Empty envelope delivered

A paper envelope for DVDs? You've got to be kidding! It's a wonder the envelope itself even made it. The seller should have at least used a padded bag/bubble mailer if they were too cheap to send them in a cardboard box.

I received a brand new, sealed Mortal Kombat game for PS2 once, which had black tyre marks on the paper envelope which was also torn. As you can guess, the game's case was obliterated and the manual was damaged. Surprisingly, the disc was still intact, but I still received a refund for it as the game was supposed to be brand new, factory sealed and undamaged. Anyone who sends a DVD or any other solid object in a paper envelope or a satchel with no padding is a complete idiot.

If the parcel has stamps on it or a letter rate sticker (e.g. $3.00 or $5.00) rather than a tracking number (e.g. it wasn't Registered/Parcel/Express Post), the seller has lost the claim already.
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Empty envelope delivered

Lyndal, if the OP opens a case for INAD, and Ebay asks the buyer to send the item back........there's nothing to return?

How would that case then proceed, I'm wondering.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Empty envelope delivered

I don't know about the ebay dispute process but in the paypal dispute there is (or was, last time I used it) an option for "parcel was empty" or something like that wording.

I would open a paypal dispute myself in this case rather than an ebay one.

If the OP used the Item Not Received option he would lose the dispute immediately if the seller has proof of posting.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Empty envelope delivered

@heihachi_73 wrote:
A paper envelope for DVDs? You've got to be kidding! It's a wonder the envelope itself even made it. The seller should have at least used a padded bag/bubble mailer if they were too cheap to send them in a cardboard box.

I received a brand new, sealed Mortal Kombat game for PS2 once, which had black tyre marks on the paper envelope which was also torn. As you can guess, the game's case was obliterated and the manual was damaged. Surprisingly, the disc was still intact, but I still received a refund for it as the game was supposed to be brand new, factory sealed and undamaged. Anyone who sends a DVD or any other solid object in a paper envelope or a satchel with no padding is a complete idiot.

If the parcel has stamps on it or a letter rate sticker (e.g. $3.00 or $5.00) rather than a tracking number (e.g. it wasn't Registered/Parcel/Express Post), the seller has lost the claim already.

If the disks where sent loose in the envelope everything you say is fair enough, but we dont know if that is the case. The OP only recieved a torn envelope. I often pack items in bubble wrap or boxes and then place the container in a tough bag or occasionaly a well taped paper envelope as an outside wrapper. If the seller did this they may have tried to do the right thing.

When mailing anything in a paper envelope it pays to run tape fully around the seams and also in a cross shape through the middle of the envelope to provide extra strength. 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Empty envelope delivered

Yes, it only has three one dollar stamps stuck to it, so is has been sent as simply a large letter to skimp on postage. With 20 discs packed into it, no wonder they escaped through the end of it. The seller will be the one losing out, serves them right for penny pinching. Should have at least being bubble wrapped and put in a padded satchel as anyone would normally do.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply