How long to wait for a payment refund

I ordered and paid immediately (Paypal) for 2 identical Kantha Quilts on the 3rd of this month, 3 days later the seller sent me a message saying that the Quilt shown in his listing (photo) isn't the actual quilt design he has and asked if I would take a different one that he has listed or if not then he would give me a refund,  I said no that I didn't want a different one and I would take the refund,  my reasoning being is that if I wanted a different one I would have ordered it and also if he doesn't have the one he has showing in the listing he should remove it. He then said he would refund me that day, that was 3 days ago on the 6th.

On the afternoon of the 7th still no refund so I messaged him and asked about it, he messaged back and said I have to wait for the refund until my payment goes into his paypal account ... is that correct ? .... as the payment has been completed on my side according to my Paypal account.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thankyou all for your replies, I sent him one more message advising him that the payment had been completed on my side and that he already does have my money and that  I was seeking an immediate  refund or failing that I would open a dispute ...

.....  I got my refund the very next morning  Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Did you fund the payment with a card or from your bank account? If your bank account and you do not have a card on file then it will take a few days for your payment to clear into their Paypal account and they would not be able to refund until it clears. If you used a card, your Paypal balance or your bank with a linked card then the payment will be in heir account and there is no excuse for not issuing a refund straight away.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Thankyou phorum_junkie, yes I used the funds I had in my Paypal account and the remainder was paid through my bank with a linked card and the payment has gone through from both of my accounts.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

I would give it another couple of days then open an item not received dispute through Paypal.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

If the original payment is showing as completed then the seller should be able to start the refund immediately, however if the money is coming from their bank account and not their Paypal balance the refund would show as "pending" whilst the money is transferring from the seller's bank account to their Paypal account, the same as if you paid using your bank account, it takes a couple of days but shows as pending.

there is no reason they can't refund immediately if the transaction is completed.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

The seller is giving you the run around because if the seller contacted you 3 days after you already paid then the seller would

of indeed received the payment.

So the refund should have happened there and then no excuses in my books regarding the payment not being in their account yet.

It is definately in there.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Just go to Paypal and open a Dispute. That will get the seller off his behind and refund!

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thankyou all for your replies, I sent him one more message advising him that the payment had been completed on my side and that he already does have my money and that  I was seeking an immediate  refund or failing that I would open a dispute ...

.....  I got my refund the very next morning  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply