I just discovered that sellers can request bidders phone number!!

I always thought that contact details could only be requested of people who have actually sold or purshased an item. But today I discover that merely bidding on an item, allows a seller to request the phone number of the bidder.

Isn't this a very curious situation, seeing as it facilites, for no legitimate reason the type of out of ebay contact that is specifically forbidden. Why would eBay allow this bypassing of the messaging system and make it easier for fraudsters to operate.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

2 years ago I was contacted by a seller after they did a request for my details after bidding and not winning an item.

It should ONLY be accessible for the winner.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Anyone who places a bid can have their details passed on by request.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Wow, it's been going on for that long? How can such a blatent security breach be available for so long.

It was an obviously fraudulent ad for a macbook, you know the type, zero feedback, latest macbook customised to the absolute max, phone number in ad, plus each photo purporting to be the actual object taken from all over the web, as is easily discoverd by pasting into google image search. And of course the dead giveaway 'absolutely no pick up allowed'.

I got a call almost immediately after placing a bid inviting me to make them an offer. I informed them that I'd not want to deal outside ebay to which they replied it's not outside ebay. In which case is not my bid my offer? They then told me I could pay by paypal, which of course would not be sympathetic to recovering the funds outside ebay. When I told them I suspect there is no laptop, they invited me to have sexual relations with myself, albeit in a more direct way.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

Anyone who places a bid can have their details passed on by request.

As I have, to my dismay, discovered.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

I ask you Ph.J, what possible legitimate reason would ebay think a seller could have to request the phone number of a bidder? Isn't the internal messaging system supposed to accomplish any necessary contact. Couldn't it be deemed an unnecessary invasion of privacy?

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

If you haven't been verified by phone details then it's not a breach of security when a seller requests your phone number as it's a requirement to be able to buy on Ebay

It's not an invasion of privacy it's an Ebay policy and when a seller requests your details then you will also receive all their details

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

I

@zelly888 wrote:

If you haven't been verified by phone details then it's not a breach of security when a seller requests your phone number as it's a requirement to be able to buy on Ebay

It's not an invasion of privacy it's an Ebay policy and when a seller requests your details then you will also receive all their details

In that case wouldn't it cut both ways, shouldn't a bidder then be able to request the seller's phone number for the very same purported reason to see if they are verified by phone details?

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

Yes that's what I just said

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

A bidder can make a request for the seller's phone number even before winning an item? Well that is even more astounding to know. I wish I had known this in the past. I could have sworn that at one time it was only allowed for a finalised transaction.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply