I paid a 'buy it now', therefore, winning the item. I now receive a 'the seller has cancelled'

....the seller messaged me with a 'sorry, this item has recently been sold'......shouldn't I be the winning bidder?

Is this allowable?

Wouldn't I be entering into a contract by hitting the 'buy it now' option?

Do I have any rights in this matter?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I paid a 'buy it now', therefore, winning the item. I now receive a 'the seller has cancelled'

If there is an option in the cancellation to accept or decline, hit decline. That way the seller loses their fees. If they haven't already refunded you, open an item not received dispute. Once you've been refunded, leave appropriate feedback and find someone else who's happy to sell you the item. Unfortunately, there's not much else you can do.

If the seller is a top rated seller, I don't think you can leave negative feedback inside 7 days, so if they are and you plan to neg, make sure you wait a week before doing so. Don't mention disputes, don't fly off in a rage (as tempting as it is!), just factual calm feedback that other buyers will see and take notice of. If you go into a rant, buyers often dismiss a negative as the buyer being a numpty.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It is not good form but you cannot force the seller to send the item to you.

Just leave the appropriate feedback and look elsewhere for the item.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Yes of course you should be the winner if you hit the buy it now button & pay.

It's sounding to me as if the seller had it advertised elesewhere.

It's bad form, but as others have said, you can't force them to send it.

You can force them to refund though if they haven't already & you don't have to accept a cancellation.

Plus you can give neg or neutral feedback.

That's about it really. The main thing now is about making sure you get your money back.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

If there is an option in the cancellation to accept or decline, hit decline. That way the seller loses their fees. If they haven't already refunded you, open an item not received dispute. Once you've been refunded, leave appropriate feedback and find someone else who's happy to sell you the item. Unfortunately, there's not much else you can do.

If the seller is a top rated seller, I don't think you can leave negative feedback inside 7 days, so if they are and you plan to neg, make sure you wait a week before doing so. Don't mention disputes, don't fly off in a rage (as tempting as it is!), just factual calm feedback that other buyers will see and take notice of. If you go into a rant, buyers often dismiss a negative as the buyer being a numpty.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply