I won the auction buy seller told me they had sold the item already

I won an auction yesterday for 2 sofas. No one else bid. I had asked a question of the seller which was ignored. I bid anyway. When I asked when I could collect the sofas, they told me they had sold them so they weren't available. 

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: I won the auction buy seller told me they had sold the item already

If the seller asks for a mutual cancellation refuse it then they will not get a refund of their FVFs, punishment enough for not taking the listing down if they sold elsewhere. Uless you paid by Paypal, which I presume you wouldn't do for a pick up item, you are not out any money so just move on and look elsewhere for your sofas.

See what a trendsetter I am?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Unfortunately sometimes this happens - the seller sells elsewhere.   Nobody can make them sell the sofas to you. 

You have the option to leave feedback, or you could just forget it, and look for another bargain.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

If the seller asks for a mutual cancellation refuse it then they will not get a refund of their FVFs, punishment enough for not taking the listing down if they sold elsewhere. Uless you paid by Paypal, which I presume you wouldn't do for a pick up item, you are not out any money so just move on and look elsewhere for your sofas.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

But even if a seller doesn't ask for a cancellation or if you refuse they can still get their fvf back by calling eBay. Happened to me once where an item was damaged post sale and payment was refunded. Buyer wasn't happy and refused to accept the cancellation. Rang eBay and fvf was refunded immediately
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

same thing happened to me. Seller said oh sorry it sold on Gumtree today. I said you should have stated you were advertising it elsewhere.  Problem is now that everytime I log in I get a reminder to pay for the item. Seller hasn't cancelled transaction even though I've asked them to. Maybe they don't log on that much.  Item price was $240 so assume they would get charged their fees and then maybe query it.  Very annoying.  Ebay telling me to contact them asking them to cancel sale.  Why should I? wasn't my doing.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Whether an item is cancelled or not it will be in your Purchase History showing that it is awaiting payment until it is paid for or goes into Archives.  It is the system and has nothing to do with the seller cancelling the transaction or not.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@givemeaspell wrote:

same thing happened to me. Seller said oh sorry it sold on Gumtree today. I said you should have stated you were advertising it elsewhere.  Problem is now that everytime I log in I get a reminder to pay for the item. Seller hasn't cancelled transaction even though I've asked them to. Maybe they don't log on that much.  Item price was $240 so assume they would get charged their fees and then maybe query it.  Very annoying.  Ebay telling me to contact them asking them to cancel sale.  Why should I? wasn't my doing.

The seller is the one losing out if they don't cancel. Their fees would be around $24, which is a lot of money if you don't have it. If you go to the item in your purchase history and hit the dropdown on the right, you can select to hide the item. It probably won't stop the automated messages telling you to pay, but at least it will be out of view. You won't be penalised at all if the seller ignores it.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply