Items disappearing from purchased list

I purchased six items in one transaction on 15/06 from six different sellers. The purchase seemed to go through fine and I got an email from PayPal saying paid successfully. I go in to check where my items were yesterday and they are not in my purchased history. I log into PayPal and for some reason they all got refunded on the 16/06. I spoke to eBay, then PayPal, then eBay again about this and apparently eBay is having some issues and I need to re-buy them all.

I bought another item last night and it is not showing up in my purchase list (it's still sitting in my cart saying I need to pay for it, yet the payment has gone through in PayPal). I'm just waiting for this item to bounce too. Is anyone having this trouble?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I haven't had the problem myself but others on the boards have mentioned it, here's a post from Digi about it.

There are other posts about as well.

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/PayPal-Payment-Reversals/m-p/2069021#M155353

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

You're not alone, I'm dealing with EXACTLY the same issue right now (first time it's happened to me). Like you I batch paid for five or six items a few days ago and received a confirmation email from paypal about all the payments.

After paying (from items added to cart) I noticed they hadn't appeared in my ebay purchases instantly, but I remember seeing next to 'Unpaid Items' (5) items. I just thought the checkout must have been a bit sluggish that night and hadn't updated properly.

Logging back into ebay today none of the items showed up in my purchases. But in paypal all the payments (bar one) were marked as refunded but listed as 'Pending' (possibly because the total hasn't cleared from my bank account). Usually though, my payments go through instantly regardless. Strange that one payment seems not to have been refunded, but there's no record of that purchase in ebay either (I've yet to check my bank account).

Received a message from a seller wondering what was going on with payment (he said he received notification from paypal as paid and 5 mins later it was refunded).

Bummer too because I'd paid with the COUNT20 code ($20 discount off $100 spend). Only had a few minutes left before the offer ended at 11:59pm (now thinking maybe the payment went through 30 seconds late or some technicality like that which has caused everything to be refunded).

Some seriously glitchy stuff going on with ebay checkout and paypal right now it seems.

Maybe it's a sneaky way for ebay avoid forking out on discounts -one of the items I was paying for wasn't in my 'cart' - I'd committed to buy that one earlier, but now won't be getting the discount when I repay. Thanks for that ebay.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Don't use the cart....it doesn't work Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Mine is working fine including using a discount code.

No pending/refund issues...been a couple of hours since purchase.

Using Chrome on a Phone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Worth giving eBay an email/call to say you missed out due to an error with function, and that you had applied the code correctly.

I have had a "courtesy" refund from eBay on a code issue before. They looked at the payment (so get the Paypal details ready).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

@many*splendid*things wrote:

. . . . . . . . . . .

Some seriously glitchy stuff going on with ebay checkout and paypal right now it seems.

I'm having issues on another ID with orders I've sent weeks ago (some of which I've even received Feedback for) showing that lovely RED message that I need to post by whatever date !  Must remember to watch closely for late shipment defects !  Nothing would surprise me.  I have made some purchases via the cart on that ID also, so thanks for the heads up, must check them . . . . . . .

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

@twyngwyn wrote:

Don't use the cart....it doesn't work Smiley Frustrated

Unfortunately to take advantage of all the discounts eBay is putting on at the moment I had to use the cart. Normally it works really well for me.

I just bought a whole lot of items using the cart and it seems to have gone through fine. Items are showing up in my purchase history and in paypal. Odd that the single other purchase is still not showing in my ebay and checkout keeps trying to make me pay for it

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

I don't think you need to use the cart to take advantage of the ebay discounts (when you go to pay for one item in your purchases (auction wins and buy it now) all the unpaid items are rolled into the one payment unless you select 'Pay Only This Seller'. So you can still pay the usual way to apply discounts to muliple purchases if that's what you're meaning.

I've used the cart several times for multiple purchases (usually with discount codes) and haven't had this problem come up before this. I've found the cart a convenient way to calculate what you're spending before actually committing to buy a bunch of stuff, but I probably won't be bothering trying to pay with it again after this.

Interesting to note that in my paypal account and bank account the payments made/drawn were for the discounted price, but the refunded amounts (Pending) are for the full price before discount. So I'm thinking they may now be frozen because ebay will be wanting their discount back. Don't know whether or not to repay for the one item in my purchases (I don't want the payment to go through twice). It really is a total mess.

Not looking forward to wasting time on the phone to ebay and paypal after your experience being handballed back and forth but now it looks like I'm off on a day trip - next stop Manilla...

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

This issue has been ongoing for weeks, unfortunately. I had one buyer make around ten separate purchase attempts for items, only two of which were ultimately successful.

One even initially showed as unsuccessful, so the buyer made a subsequent attempt (which did go through so I didn't post the first one, only the second one), then a couple of days later while I was trying to sort through the utter mess it created in PayPal (on the seller's end, the payment shows up as received, then creates a separate transaction to show it was reversed), I saw that the first one did go through after all. 

I can almost guarantee you this is an ebay cart issue (eBay will blame PayPal, and PayPal will blame eBay, which just adds to the frustration because no one is willing to seriosuly acknowledge and address the problem), but I suspect eBay because it's not happening to PayPal payments made / received via other websites I sell on. 

I have no genuine solution, I'm afraid, other than to use the Buy It Now option if this issue has been affecting your purchases. You can still go through checkout for multiple items (in the same currency) for BIN items and apply discount codes, but you can't take advanatge of any seller-offered promotions (eg the ones that have the deal showing in listings, like buy 2 get one for 20% off etc, as they require the cart to be used so that the discount can be applied to the prices, while codes are applied at the payment stage). 

Someone else on the selling board suggested it could be an issue with funding sources, PayPal did recently announce an update to their user agreement regarding funding sources, allowing members to select sources other than PayPal balances, I don't know if it has any bearing on this, but it has to be something common between the people who experience this, because it happens to the same buyers over and over, while others have no problems at all... So it might be worth logging in to your PP account and seeing if you can change or confirm settings for your funding source, then checking whether it makes a difference. 

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply