Misleading low price listings where no item choice is actually that low

eBay needs to do something about these sellers that list items where none of the item choices are the low price (this should not be possible). Also where sellers list a cheap item that may or may not relate the main item title/picture.

An LED light may have many types but how does it help the buyer find what they are looking for if unrelated types are listed with standard ES/BC globes at $3-5 (depending on wattage) like some 1 watt button looking thing for < $1.

I tried reporting one item but the options almost had me cancel. Is eBay even aware of this?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

It has been an annoyance for everyone for a long time but it seems that it is not important enough for Ebay to do anything about it. The best thing you can do is not buy from any seller that does this.

Latest reply

Actually I shouldn't support eBay either.
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Why?

Latest reply

As you said its a long time issue and eBay dont care
They allow false low price even when no item choice is really that low
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Have you reported it?

Ebay cannot monitor every listing so they rely on members reporting shonky listings.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

It's annoying, but you can avoid these listings by using search parameters fairly effectively.

If they use a common "bait" item at a much lower price, you can use keywords to not show any of those in the results. eg a common ploy is evening dresses that show up for $2 because there's a pair of gloves or a garter at that price, so you would type 

evening dress -garter -gloves

and only see the results / prices for the dresses (the listings with gloves etc will still appear, but the prices displayed won't be the cheaper ones, but the actual prices of the dress).

Another way is if the item you're looking for is averaging $10 or more, and the bait items are $5 or less, set the search to only show items above say $6.00

It doesn't exactly solve the main issue, but it is an efficient workaround. 

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

How about shonky bloody ebay?

Ebay is just in it for the money no matter how ebay gets it!

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@scrambler3333 wrote:

How about shonky bloody ebay?

Ebay is just in it for the money no matter how ebay gets it!

Why else would they be 'in it'? Of course their only job is to make money for the shareholders. If you want to decide how ebay is run then you will need to become a majority shareholder.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

i'm guessing this is a mainly chinese seller problem, seen it many times myself.

yes its annoying finding an item only to find when you get the page opened and click the drop downs to see the version you want is 'sold out'

but then there is also the change in price, from the listing saying starting from X $ to your version being much dearer.

ive learned toy skip the multi listed items, that cuts a lot of false page loadings.

just scroll to the first ones that are just the item you want at the price your prepared to pay.

i dont buy electrical items from china, cant trust them to be good quality.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply