NEVER TRUST Ebay buyer protection,you will lose

Ebay deals,don't trust.Been scammed for alot of money this week and protection,forget it.The seller probably has my money and they have the same one listed on another site and we weren't finished the deal yet.

Ebay promised a quick refund,but since this morning when live chat told me their account was locked and she go to bank and do a recall.She said let me know how i go and I was going to do that,but guess what?No longer able to access.

Bank thinks fraud.Wonderful,just what a pensioner needs.Been dealing with ebay for alot of years,and have never encountered such a horrible thing.Thousands of dollars.:-(

BE WARNED

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

it sounds like you paid for an item by bank transfer and now you are finding out why you should never do it ? BAD IDEA. Never pay that way ALWAYS use Paypal.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

You need to read up on Ebay's Money Back Guarantee

There's no protection for bank deposit, so not ebay's fault.

Sorry

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

I must say I am surprised that given the OP has, as they say,been dealing with ebay for a lot of years they are not aware of how buyer protection works

I am afraid being a long time member,nor being a pensioner gives you any protection if you choose not to use paypal 

You need to make sure you take the steps required to protection yourself

What else did the bank say other than 'fraud'  did they just leave it at that?

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Dealing with ebay for years you say then you should know that there is no money back guarantee for paying with bank deposit.

I know I'm slow at replying as others have said it but I want to say it as well Woman Tongue

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

eBay buyer protection works very well.

In fact it is so slanted in the favour of the buyer that it makes sellers nervous.

BUT, you must use PayPal to qualfy for buyer protection. 

No two ways about it.

image host
Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@bev_craft wrote:

Ebay deals,don't trust.Been scammed for alot of money this week and protection,forget it.The seller probably has my money and they have the same one listed on another site and we weren't finished the deal yet.

They will not be the same seller,(that's the listing/advert that the scammer probably copied so that they could

scam you).

Ebay promised a quick refund,but since this morning when live chat told me their account was locked and she go to bank and do a recall.She said let me know how i go and I was going to do that,but guess what?No longer able to access.

Off course you can't as that's why the scammer got you to pay by bank deposit,(you don't pay anything

you buy online by bank deposit).

Bank thinks fraud.Wonderful,just what a pensioner needs.Been dealing with ebay for alot of years,and have never encountered such a horrible thing.Thousands of dollars.:-(

BE WARNED

Never pay thousands of dollars online by bank deposit,(instead use Paypal via a credit card as that way you

are also able to do a chargeback if things go wrong).

Maybe report it to Acorn,(the Australian Cybercrime Online reporting Network):

https://www.acorn.gov.au/

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

@bev_craft wrote:

BE WARNED

Why throw the pensioner comment in? It's the quickest way to rub everyone the wrong way. If you were a pensioner and doing it so tough, things can't be that bad if you spend "thousands" in a week.

Next time pay with PayPal. Problem solved. Hard lesson learned.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Agree so much Tippy.  I would love to be able to stretch my pension that far to spend that sort of money any where let alone on line. 

OP dont blame Ebay or anyone else for your loss.  How many times do you have to read that Bank Deposit gives you NO PROTECTION.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

@daydreams_12 wrote:

Agree so much Tippy.  I would love to be able to stretch my pension that far to spend that sort of money any where let alone on line. 

OP dont blame Ebay or anyone else for your loss.  How many times do you have to read that Bank Deposit gives you NO PROTECTION.

To be fair, it's bev's first post here.

Those of us who hang out on the boards, yes, we've read over and over about these sorts of scams and how not to pay via bank deposit, but for others, even long time ebay users, it is possible to be tricked.

It happened to me once, admittedly for a much smaller purchase of about $30. A paypal payment wasn't going through, seller was most communicative & with an excellent ongoing and recent record & feedback, so I paid bank deposit as the seller 'was trying to sort it out on paypal, technical problems."

Looking back, I still kick myself. Why on earth didn't I just say no worries, I'll pay when it is sorted. But you see, I had it in the back of my mind I HAD to pay within the time limit. I wasn't a newbie.

People of course should refrsh themselves on the terms & conditions but i can see how it is possible to be taken in.

But.. for a purchase worth thousands, I would always be very wary. For a purchase worth $10 I am even wary these days.

The fact a pensioner spends a few thousand is not suspicious-they are allowed to save and make the occasional purchase like anyone else. Probably takes them a lot longer to save it though and they can't afford to lose it. This is where a purchase from a real shop might be a safer move for a pensioner. Ebay, yes, there is the possibility of losing money in certain circumstances. For both buyers & sellers.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply