Opening eBay purchase dispute case redirects me to Paypal for CC purchase?

madame.fong
Community Member

I can't open a dispute case through eBay or Paypal. Help!

I purchased an item with my credit card and used the Paypal facility in order to pay with my credit card. The item never arrived and the seller has told me for about a week now they've refunded the money to me. I've not seen the money in my credit card online statement or in my Paypal account.

I went to eBay's dispute process and tried to open a claim and a message appears and says I purchased the item through Paypal. When I go to the Paypal site, there is only one transaction that is visible for a different item I purchased late last month. There are no other transactions that are visible that can be disputed.

I'm at a loss as to what to do now. The 45-day period is almost over and I can't lodge a case with either eBay OR Paypal. Has anyone else experienced this?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

The first thing I would do is (if you kept it) go to the receipt for the payment and use the transaction ID to locate it in PayPal. 

The only other thing I can think of is if you paid as a guest without logging into your PayPal account, maybe using an email address different to the one that's associated with your PP account (if so, I think you may be able to add the address to the account as a secondary email address and then locate the payment within your existing account, but I'm not 100% sure). 

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If the seller has refunded through paypal it can take up to a week for the funds to go back to your credit card, and you will not be able to open a dispute.

There is no point in opening a dispute through ebay as they can not get your money back....always do it through paypal if that is the way you paid.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

madame.fong
Community Member

Hi digital*ghost, I still have the receipt for the purchase. I definitely paid through my Credit Card and did not log on to Paypal. I have since opened a Paypal account. I have sent an email to Paypal to ask them to clarify how I can lodge a claim for that purchase. I have also contacted ebay to ask them to confirm whether my payment was a Paypal purchase, as they claim.

On the section where you lodge the paypal dispute, there isn't a search function so I'm unable to do a search for the transaction using the receipt number, as you suggested. I only have one transaction that has been made via Paypal. ?:|

When I purchased this item that hasn't arrived, I did also purchased a different item from the same seller. This other item arrived and it was too large (their sizing was wrong) and they gave me a partial refund and that refund arrived straight into my credit card within a day or two of them saying they transferred the funds. As such, their claim that they have transferred the money for the item that didn't arrive is questionable as it has been about a week now since they claim they sent the money.

lyndal1838, thanks for your tip. I will try open a dispute with Paypal - I just need to figure out how I can actually do that!

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It sounds like you paid through paypal as a guest.  If this is correct you can only open the dispute through a paypal account.  This should not be a problem as you say you have now opened an account.

To open the dispute you need to go to the Resolution Centre and follow the prompts.  As the transaction was not paid through your account you will need the Transaction ID...so dig out that receipt.

And do it now....if you go even 1 second over the 45 days you have done your dough.

If you have any problems come back here....I will stick around for another hour or so.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

*makes Lyn a cup of coffee*

*and some snacks*

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

This situation has come up before, and if you call paypal they can assist you to link the transaction and open the dispute,  you do need to register with paypal, and as you have opened an account already, you should have no problem.

Go to your PP account, click on Contact us, you will be given a free call number to phone, you will find the operators very courteous and helpful.   Do it whilst at your computer so they can walk you through the steps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

As long as you have the paypal Unique ID from your receipt you should be able to do it without ringing paypal.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Here's how to find the Unique Transaction ID through PayPal:

The PayPal 'Overview' page only shows your activity for the last 7 days. Above the recent activity log there are 2 options 'Payments received' and 'Payments sent'. When you click on  'Payments sent'  your history comes up together with a drop down 'Select' menu which gives you the choice of This week, Last Week, This Month, Last Month or Last 3 months. If none of those options helps you find the transaction you're after then you can also enter a 'From' and 'To' date range if you know the approximate date you're looking for.

When you find the one you're after just click on 'details' next to it and the Unique Transaction ID will show at the top of the page.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

trulyspecial, that only works when the payment was made through the paypal account.  The OP paid as a guest and opened the paypal account after the event.

She needs the Unique ID from her receipt.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply