PURCHASED FROM NSW, SHIPPING FROM CHINA

Hi,

I've been on ebay a while but this is the first instance I've had where I paid extra to purchase an item from NSW (even though I saw hundreds of listings for the same item much cheaper shipping from China) because I am in NSW so assumed it would take like a week at the most and I didn't want to wait 20-30 days delivery.

After I purchased the item the seller updated the delivery terms in the listing and I received a message from them outlining the estimated delivery period which is 20 days and it turns out it is shipping from China. Surely this can't be something ebay allows? I would have paid like $10 instead of $35 if it wasn't a time senstive gift.

Seems so misleading and against consumer conduct to say 'NSW' but really it's China.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Difficult for eBay to police. There is a report category for this - Misrepresenting item location

Best you can do is to warn others in feedback after you get the item and see it was indeed sent from China.

image host
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

I would be outraged too.

When you bought it, did it have an estimated date of delivery that was within eg 7-10 days?

If so, then I didn't think they could change it after a sale.

They could certainly change it on their current listings but I would not have thought they could do it for a transaction that had been finalised.

I could be very wrong of course. But I would be interested to know if you could go back, reopen the listing you bought from, the one in your my ebay bought section, and see if the delivery dates are still the original ones.

If by chance they are, then if the date passes, I would immediately put in a claim for item not received.

The bottom line for me is that no parts of the sale conditions should be allowed to be changed after the sale. Ebay should not allow it.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Hi, I had the same problem. Item was supposedly in NSW was going to be couriered but after 3 weeks emailed seller and he tries telling me that postal service must have lost item. I emailed him back and called him a liar as the item is not in Australia at all. I checked his details, he is located overseas. I called EBay and reported the seller and they are investigating as I am not the only one that has said items not located here. Seller refused to resend. Reckons he was out of stock which was another lie as he had the exact same camera listed in another listing but was now charging $50 more as he was selling with three batteries instead of two. 

I started looking at other sellers of the camera I want and have found another seller saying items are in Aust, even in the pics it states Aust stock but he is located overseas and has a lot of neg feedback regarding items not in Australia. From now on, what I am going to do is if I am interested in an item I am going to click on feedback and see where seller is located, if it is outside of Australia but saying item is in Australia, I am not going to buy from them and I am going to report them. The only way we are going to stop this is by reporting the sellers as EBay does not go in and check sellers feedback unless we say something. I now have Ebays phone number in my phone as I find trying to report anything is very long winded trying to find the right thing to go through so it's easier to just call.

Please everyone, we need to report these overseas sellers for lying. I buy things from overseas all the time so I don't even understand why they are doing it. Anyone have any ideas why?

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

@locall1961 wrote:

I started looking at other sellers of the camera I want and have found another seller saying items are in Aust, even in the pics it states Aust stock but he is located overseas and has a lot of neg feedback regarding items not in Australia. From now on, what I am going to do is if I am interested in an item I am going to click on feedback and see where seller is located, if it is outside of Australia but saying item is in Australia, I am not going to buy from them and I am going to report them. The only way we are going to stop this is by reporting the sellers as EBay does not go in and check sellers feedback unless we say something.

I am absolutely astounded that a member with your buying and selling experience has not been checking feedback.

Why would you not be checking the seller's location as a matter of course?

It is a classic newbie mistake not to check feedback before buying from any seller.

As for reporting a Chinese seller for misrepresentation of item location.....a complete waste of time.  They are teflon coated and ebay does nothing.  It is up to you to protect yourself with the tools that have always been available to you.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

I think a key question is still what was the estimated date of delivery in the listing, and if, after a sale, that estimated date range can be changed.

In all the listings I can see on my own watch list, there is an estimated delivery date of some sort & I have never known them to change after a sale was finalised.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Just had the same thing happen. I ordered a fire steel thing and wanted one fast so delibretly checked "From Australia Only". The listing listed the item as being located in Hopper's Crossing. The image clearly reads "shipped from Australia" however, the add has now been updated to say it ships from China and won't be till after 19th September. 

Needless to say I am trying to log a DNR report but can't because the delivery date is so far in the future. The thing is, if it does not turn up, I won't be able to log a dispute because it will be past the 30 day limit.
The seller is a teenager from Victoria. I already found his Facebook Page, address and phone number but hope he might respond nicely to my "contact seller" and just refund it. He's only sold 8 items and has 9 feedbacks. 
The proce of this item was small, but the principle of dishonest listings is very annoying. 😞

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

You are not limited to 30 days for a dispute.

If the item does not arrive you are better off opening a paypal dispute and you have 180 days for that.

With a ebay dispute you cannot open it till after the last estimated date of arrival.   If the arrival is 35 days then you can still open a dispute after the 35 days.

An ebay dispute is best for Item Not As Described.

When you say the seller is a teenager....is he less than 18?

If so, report him to ebay as you have to be 18 to open an ebay account.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@locall1961 wrote:

I started looking at other sellers of the camera I want and have found another seller saying items are in Aust, even in the pics it states Aust stock but he is located overseas and has a lot of neg feedback regarding items not in Australia. From now on, what I am going to do is if I am interested in an item I am going to click on feedback and see where seller is located, if it is outside of Australia but saying item is in Australia, I am not going to buy from them and I am going to report them. The only way we are going to stop this is by reporting the sellers as EBay does not go in and check sellers feedback unless we say something.

I am absolutely astounded that a member with your buying and selling experience has not been checking feedback.

Why would you not be checking the seller's location as a matter of course?

It is a classic newbie mistake not to check feedback before buying from any seller.

As for reporting a Chinese seller for misrepresentation of item location.....a complete waste of time.  They are teflon coated and ebay does nothing.  It is up to you to protect yourself with the tools that have always been available to you.

I did check their feedback lyndal1838 before I purchased, but at that time there was only one negative stating items not in Australia and a few more said about length of time it took to get here, but as my step daughter really wanted that particular one because of all the stuff it had with it at a cheap price I bit the bullet and purchased it as the seller had a lot of positive feedback stating shipping was quick etc.

What annoyed me even more about this seller is the fact he was reselling the exact same item but for $50 more but would not resend me another camera.

I got a refund including shipping but it was not what I wanted and because I part paid with a $20 bonus from a promotion ran by Ebay, I then had to chase up Ebay about that, which thankfully they are putting into my Paypal account to reuse.

Well all you can do is to report them, which I did by phone, not email, as I reckon that is a waste of time. When I called Ebay the other day about the $20 bonus I had the guy check up to make sure a report had been put in about the seller, and he checked, and their had been, but as its a different department it goes to he could not see what was happening with it.

I just dont understand why these overseas sellers are doing it, maybe you have the answer to that lyndal1838.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

My experience is that if I EVER buy things on eBay again I would only buy things which are LOCATED in Australia, and only at a cost I can afford to lose.

I bought an item in recent months from China. The thing never arrived. I asked the seller and he kept on sending me a tracking number of China Post. That resulted in "Not found" in tracking. I had a screen capture of this. The eBay dispute center categorically said I would not get a refund for this. No explanation given.

eBay "money back guarantee" !? Trust sellers from China? Trust fairness of eBay?  I wish you good luck.Cat Mad

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply