Paypal Return Shipping Reimbursement with a Claim

Does anyone know if you can claim return shipping when it is the subject of a buyer complaint? I bought a defective item from the UK, seller will not refund or replace ๐Ÿ˜ž I raised a complaint, Paypal say return with online tracking for a full refund. Unfortunately the cost of this is approx $63 so not worth doing.  

I have tried the 'return this item' function through eBay, but as I already have a claim with paypal this function is not available.

Any help appreciated!

Worth noting- on your paypal summary page, left hand side is a category ' Get reimbursed for return shipping'

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You should have used the ebay Money Back Guarantee to get the seller to pay for the return postage.   If she had not done so you would have had a refund and kept the item.

There was a paypal promotion a while ago whereby they would pay the return postage but you had to opt into the scheme.  I thought it was for a limited time but it sounds like it might be still available.

for an amount like you are looking at I would ring paypal and ask.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

The return shipping reimbursement is now a permanent offer from PayPal, and they will refund up to $45 under certain conditions. 

As lyndal mentioned, you do have to sign up for it, and calling to clarify would be the way to go, since one of the primary conditions to be eligible for reimbursement is:

You may return items using the Service if you:

• initiated your return within the return period and in accordance with any return conditions of the seller

"Return Period" is referring to the seller's own terms of sale (eg some allow returns for 7 days after the buyer receives an item, some allow 30 days, some don't accept returns - though a UK seller has to due to the Distance Selling Regulations). So it's kind of geared more towards change of mind returns, but it certainly doesn't say you're ineligible to claim for reimbursement if the transaction is disputed for Not As Described. 

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/returns/generalconditions

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

yes Paypal has that feature but make sure you put in for the reimbursement within the time frame. I had no idea it even existed and had to return a pair of slippers for a bigger size. Ended up paying more for shipping to get them returned than the slippers cost me, then I see the promotion for refund of your return shipping. I missed it by 2 days....rrrr
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Fingers crossed. I have returned the item & put in the claim through Telus/Paypal although coming back here & reading yor comments on 'time frame' has me worried! Whatever happens, it's the principle of the whole thing, & although I may end up very out of pocket, at least it makes the seller somewhat responsible. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

This from the refunded returns page;

'Asking for a refund under the Paypal refunded Returns Service is easy. Fill the form below, add your posting receipts & submit your request within 14 days after returning your purchase. if accepted, your refund will appear on your paypal account within 5 days.'

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Refund granted! Was a bit of mucking around but oh so worth it. If I had not read that little line on my paypal page, I would not have returned my item. So end of story, you can claim return shipping up to $45 if item is subject of a paypal claim ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Sorry to hear you missed out by 2 days.... but look on the bright side.... you didn't spend those 2 days following links PROVIDED by PayPal relating to this program......

PayPal MAY offer a return payment for postage..... but provide NO LINK TO ACTUALLY DO THIS.....

I have contacted PayPal til I'm blue in the face without getting either a straight answer OR  a refund.....

Good luck in future

Cheers

Tim

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

You have to opt into the return postage option BEFORE opening a paypal dispute.   It cannot be done after winning the dispute.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Tim, welcome to the boards.

A little tip for new players that you might like to note, it is always useful to look at the date of the post you are replying to.  The two days that locall1961 refers to happened a year and a half ago. 

Although locall1961 still posts on the boards they probably aren't still looking at comments, or sympathy, regarding them missing out on return postage on that item they posted about as that post appears half way down the second page of their list of posts.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply