Postage charge incorrect calculations at checkout.

A Seller advertises multiples of an item on one (1) listing.

Checking postage for the listing shows US$14.90 for first item with additional items Free.

I make a purchase of four (4) of the items in one (1) Buy it now  transaction.

At the checkout the postage is not US$14.90, as advertised, but almost double the amount.

I have no desire to be ripped-off by an eBay postage calculation that is incorrect but I have agreed to Buy it now on totally different terms.

The eBay postage calculator is ripping me off.

What happens next?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This is an issue which has recently started to happen. If a seller is using the calculated postage method ebay, in their wisdom. now display the postage cost for second and subsequent purchases as free when a buyer looks at the listing. However when the buyer goes through checkout the correct postage is charged.

It is definitely not the fault of the seller but something to do with ebay and it is causing a lot of frustration for sellers.

If you do not wish to go ahead with the purchase email the seller and explain what has happened with the postage and ask them if you can please cancel the sale.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It may not be the ebay calculator but the way the seller has set it up.

Are you sure the free postage pertains to outside of the USA?

If so just message the seller asking for an invoice for the 4 items plus 14.90 postage.

But I have a feeling the free postage is only offered to USA buyers. Check in the listing under the postage section.

Edit - If it's from powerhobby, just checked and it clearly states USA buyers only.

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

This is an issue which has recently started to happen. If a seller is using the calculated postage method ebay, in their wisdom. now display the postage cost for second and subsequent purchases as free when a buyer looks at the listing. However when the buyer goes through checkout the correct postage is charged.

It is definitely not the fault of the seller but something to do with ebay and it is causing a lot of frustration for sellers.

If you do not wish to go ahead with the purchase email the seller and explain what has happened with the postage and ask them if you can please cancel the sale.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Thank you for your response.

Often items advertised show different postage conditions for purchasers from the country of origin and purchasers from overseas. I am aware of those conditions but they were not applicable on this occasion.

On the postage page, I changed the country to Australia and was clearly shown the postal charge $.. for the first item and subsequent items were "Free". The mistake I made was believing those conditions were correct and in not inputing the quanity of the anticipated purchase to confirm the correctness/incorrectness of those advertised EBay postage charges before changing the quantity and doing Buy it now.

I have gone back to the "Seller-in-w-question" site and it has changed. It now shows the country, to which postage is required, and clearly shows the postage cost for the first item with the option to change the quantity purchased to obtain the postage rates. 

I would take the opportunity to highlight that the Seller in your "Edit" is not the Seller from whom I made the purchase(s) in question. The Seller in your "Edit" is excellent to deal with and shows the correct postage for multiple purchases of items.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply.

What you point out is correct. It is not the fault of the Seller but a glitch in a system that should not occur.

Hopefully, it is rectified.
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply