Postage from USA - why so expensive?

I have pretty much given up buying avything from the USA. Are their overseas postage fees really that exhorbitant at the other end? We are talking $25 - $30 for very small packages, compared to around $10 - $15 equivalent delivery method from the UK.

Message 1 of 150
Latest reply
149 REPLIES 149

Some sellers are using the Global Shipping Program which means you pay quite a lot for a featherweight parcel, as there's no really cheap rate available for the GS

Other sellers are concerned that there's no tracking on USPS First Class Mail International (the cheapest rate for small packets) once the item leaves the US so they opt for something more expensive like Priority.  While I've had a few items not turn up, they were not necessarily sent by the cheapest method, so a more expensive rate may or may not be better.

Some items are probably too big to send by USPS First Class (especially when you are paying for a boxed item which may need extra packaging as its value is also due to the fact that it has never been opened).  As I eventually debox most of these items I really have to consider whether I should buy it now (postage $18-$30) or hope a deboxed one will eventually turn up on eBay, hopefully to be posted by First Class.

And then there are sellers who post cheap items costing a few dollars at a postal rate of $50 or more.  Maybe they do that to deter overseas sellers from bidding. Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 150
Latest reply

kiwilen0
Community Member

I agree, postage from the US is ridiculous! Recently for an item weighing less than 1 lb, I paid $63 postage to New Zealand. The trouble is, there is never any choices for the buyer to specify how they want the item sent, you have to use whatever the seller decides.

Message 3 of 150
Latest reply

Totally agree wont buy from US because of postage prices
Message 4 of 150
Latest reply

The question is why aren't more sellers taking advantage of the free delivery confirmation and tracking included with First Class International Package Service when shipped through click-n-ship (usps.com) or alternative online sites? I received a First Class package just the other day which was tracked all the way to my door, conversely an International Priority Mail parcel shipped on almost the same day has no tracking update since December 22nd and has not been received.

Message 5 of 150
Latest reply

cos the carrier pigeons have a long way to fly

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 6 of 150
Latest reply

I thought the question was why so expensive? 

Message 7 of 150
Latest reply

So true - it's a joke, one that's not funny at all.

Last week I ordered two books from Dublin (I'm in Australia) and they charged €5.00 for postage!! And the books arrived in *three days*!!! Whichever way you travel, Ireland is nearly twice as far from Australia as the USA is, and yet....three day delivery for €5.00!

Of course, postage from here to overseas is just as horrendous. I don't understand why. Maybe I'm stupid? Well, the Irish are amazing anyway!
Message 8 of 150
Latest reply

The GSP is ridiculous. Adds far too much to the cost of items from the US and is no faster than normal USPS shipping driect from the Seller.

I now never purchase items from the USA where the Seller is using the GSP. Many others are also voting with their feet.

Hopefully the penny will drop over there when sales INTL tank low enough. 

Message 9 of 150
Latest reply

Check out the postage on this item,it must come with gold wrapping.Item 231141368770

FRANKENSTEIN OR MONSTER BASH PINBALL MACHINE TOPPER! VERY REALISTIC US $199.99. postage US $1,461.79.How can this be justified

Message 10 of 150
Latest reply