Postage from USA - why so expensive?

I have pretty much given up buying avything from the USA. Are their overseas postage fees really that exhorbitant at the other end? We are talking $25 - $30 for very small packages, compared to around $10 - $15 equivalent delivery method from the UK.

Message 1 of 150
Latest reply
149 REPLIES 149

@michellebartley wrote:
I paid only $10.00 a short while ago for quite a large parcel sent from US. I was quite surprised how cheap it was.

It is doubtful that the parcel was sent through the GSP as the Pitney Bowes charges seem to start at US$25 for even a small item.

Message 31 of 150
Latest reply

Thanks dabble. I'll pass that on in case she wants to list anything else in the future.

Message 32 of 150
Latest reply

just recevied  2 items both damaged a 900 dollar order 4 items total , cost 200 Au in post , the idiot sent the items sepretly ,

what a idiot , new methord race wheels chipped and scrached , **bleep** off , his getting bad feed back , first bad feed i have givin will be him ,   over it  pathetic packaging ,

Message 33 of 150
Latest reply

@adventurerrider wrote:

just recevied  2 items both damaged a 900 dollar order 4 items total , cost 200 Au in post , the idiot sent the items sepretly ,

what a idiot , new methord race wheels chipped and scrached , **bleep** off , his getting bad feed back , first bad feed i have givin will be him ,   over it  pathetic packaging ,

Please read the information given in the thread you started.  It is not necessarily the seller's fault and the weight of those wheels would be far too heavy for combined shipping.

Negative feedback would be removed by ebay as the seller is using the GSP and ebay will not allow negs for anything to do with their shipping service.

Message 34 of 150
Latest reply

You're wasting your breath Lyndal. He's on a mission and refuses to listen to any logic. I think he's all pish and wind because you would think he would have negged the seller by now if he was going to.

Message 35 of 150
Latest reply

I have to disagree.

"Reasonable prices", and "entirely within YOUR control..." are utterly subjective.

Message 36 of 150
Latest reply

Apart from the fact that this thread is nearly 6 months old, if you read Dave's post in context he is quite correct.

Message 37 of 150
Latest reply

I dont care about the age of the post - the fact remains that shipping an item across the seas is cheap.

as of 8/2014, it was around $1.00USD/kg BY AIR.

This is because planes are loaded to capacity and there is PLENTY of capacity. Planes fly every day, mulitple times per day.
Items DO shift to ground transport once in country and this adds cost.
And each country charges carriers to operate there. Taxes, licenses and so on.

Even with all that, there is no rational justification for a quote I recently got from Fed Ex:

$191.67 for a 2.5kg shoebox to France.

USPS, $45.67

They tell us its becasue they are handling a single small package, and that adds cost. I agree. But they handle tens of thousands of small packages each day - the sheer scope of the automation needed to do that should drive costs down. If it doesnt, they should fire their automation engineers.

Sorry, let me be frank - NONE of this is in our control.

It comes down to, "It depends."
and that is a **bleep**py response.

Message 38 of 150
Latest reply

This thread is 2 years old. A lot has changed in that time.
Message 39 of 150
Latest reply

@capofret wrote:

I dont care about the age of the post - the fact remains that shipping an item across the seas is cheap.

as of 8/2014, it was around $1.00USD/kg BY AIR.

This is because planes are loaded to capacity and there is PLENTY of capacity. Planes fly every day, mulitple times per day.
Items DO shift to ground transport once in country and this adds cost.
And each country charges carriers to operate there. Taxes, licenses and so on.

Even with all that, there is no rational justification for a quote I recently got from Fed Ex:

$191.67 for a 2.5kg shoebox to France.

USPS, $45.67

They tell us its becasue they are handling a single small package, and that adds cost. I agree. But they handle tens of thousands of small packages each day - the sheer scope of the automation needed to do that should drive costs down. If it doesnt, they should fire their automation engineers.

Sorry, let me be frank - NONE of this is in our control.

It comes down to, "It depends."
and that is a **bleep**py response.

capofret, your comments may well apply in the USA where you are situated but you are on the Australian boards where they DO NOT apply to the same extent.

Perhaps you may like to take your rather rude comments to the US boards where you may find some agreement.

Message 40 of 150
Latest reply