Proxy Reserve ?

I have been an e-bay user for many years and have 100% feedback Lately I have been buying quite  a few items from one seller  I have noticed recently   ( could have been going on for some time ) the same person is putting a bid in that increases markeldy the cost of a  winning bid.

I can understand the seller not wanting to loose money but if this is the case they should put in a reserve I have been monitoring the site and every article I win this same person pushes the cost up markeldy I know this is not in the spirit of e-bay and this is not fair

If it is an aquantance of the seller creating a false reserve can this be monitored /investigated

I look forward to a repply

Regards Rooicehockey

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Proxy Reserve ?

When a seller uses a second id to bid on their listed auctions it is called shill bidding. This goes against ebay policy. If you suspect shill bidding, contact CS by phone and they can cross reference the account details. If shill bidding is proven, the seller may face sanctions including account suspension.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Proxy Reserve ?

The seller cannot bid on their own items. If you think they are shill bidding report the listings to eBay.

Reserves cannot be put on most categories of items.

Bottom line - don't bid more than you are prepared to pay. Easy.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Proxy Reserve ?

If you're bidding on quite few items from that seller, is it beyond the realms of possibility that someone else may also want a few items from them? I'm not saying one way or the other but maybe the other bidder thinks you're pushing the price up on them.
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Proxy Reserve ?

It may or may not be shill bidding.

But most of the time, a seller can't put an official reserve on an item.

If you're interested in a few of the items, maybe try bidding much, much later in the auction-within the last few hours. If you're online, within the last few minutes.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Proxy Reserve ?

while Shill bidding is against ebay policy, ebay wont stop it..... (even though they say they will)

Bigger sale prices for sellers, means bigger commissions for ebay!  Its Business!  (Unfortunately) Man Sad

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Proxy Reserve ?

@janeababe wrote:

while Shill bidding is against ebay policy, ebay wont stop it..... (even though they say they will)

Bigger sale prices for sellers, means bigger commissions for ebay!  Its Business!  (Unfortunately) Man Sad

I know, I have come across examples of where they don't enforce their own 'rules'.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply