Realised I have potentially bought a fake; can I retract / cancel order?

I had a few 4GB microSD cards I bought a few months ago on eBay.

I tried these a few days ago and they failed. When I investigated the cards, I found some software that can check and id the cards, and alos write to it, readin back, etc. to check who manufacture the card, and the capacity it has.

Long story short: browsed for better (more expensive cards) and bought two cards of two brands from two sellers on eBay.

While I was further researching the topic, I realised I better check the sellers feedback... and guess waht? Both had negative feedback for selling fake micro SD cards. Being in Australia, I just bought 5 cards from Harris Technology -- to make sure I am getting the real deal this time.

The question is: can I cancel my purchase on eBay under the premise of 'potentially' buying fakes?

I assume not; so when I get them, I will test them, and if it turns out they are fake; I will ask for a refund.

In case the seller is not compliant, what doi I need to to to get the money back?

Any hints appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If the seller hasn't posted the items yet send off a message saying you are sceptical these are genuine and would prefer to cancel the purchase if they haven't been sent yet. And, otherwise that you have the testing equipment and will open a case if not genuine anyway.

You open a case for INAD and the seller will need to supply you with a postage label to have them returned, provided seller is in Aus.

You then get a full refund.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

If the seller hasn't posted the items yet send off a message saying you are sceptical these are genuine and would prefer to cancel the purchase if they haven't been sent yet. And, otherwise that you have the testing equipment and will open a case if not genuine anyway.

You open a case for INAD and the seller will need to supply you with a postage label to have them returned, provided seller is in Aus.

You then get a full refund.

image host
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

This SD Card thing has been ongoing for years on eBay, do not buy from overseas sellers especially asian as they are almost certainly fake. Read the Feedback always before buying.
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

If the seller accepts change of mind returns, they'll generally be ok with cancelling an order for any reason (this info will be displayed underneath the price, if it indicated returns are accepted, then it usually means they accept change of mind returns, but double-check the postage and payments tab for any disclaimers).

If they do accept COM returns, and the product has already been sent, you can still return them for any reason without having to test them or prove they're fakes - don't open the packaging (the retail packaging of the cards, I mean), just initiate a return request for change of mind (in that case, you would have to pay for trackable return postage, which if the package can be kept under 2cm, would be around $6 for postage and registration). 

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply