Return/money back policy if you organise your own courier

I have recently decided to purchase an old computer for my collection. The seller claims he has packed the item well. We have both agreed that I would organise the courier (E-Go) from my end, interstate, with the pickup location from his work to the depot on my side. I have mentioned the details to him and he has agreed. I have some cofidence that he did a good job with packing, however, say an item arrives damaged, am I still covered under the eBay return policy?

My perspective is that regardless of him not personally organising the courier, they still agreed and therefore it is still their responsibility to ensure the item arrives undamaged. Is this correct or have I missed something here? Do I still have the same choice of recourse should the items arrive damaged due to their packaging?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Return/money back policy if you organise your own courier

@amigaparadigm wrote:

I have recently decided to purchase an old computer for my collection. The seller claims he has packed the item well. We have both agreed that I would organise the courier (E-Go) from my end, interstate, with the pickup location from his work to the depot on my side. I have mentioned the details to him and he has agreed. I have some cofidence that he did a good job with packing, however, say an item arrives damaged, am I still covered under the eBay return policy?

My perspective is that regardless of him not personally organising the courier, they still agreed and therefore it is still their responsibility to ensure the item arrives undamaged. Is this correct or have I missed something here? Do I still have the same choice of recourse should the items arrive damaged due to their packaging?

Was this originally listed as a pick up item?

I would imagine if you then enter into private arrangements for the item to be personally collected, even by courier, that would come under the umbrella of 'pick up' with ebay.

From the perspective of a seller who was once in a similar situation, this sort of sale can be a real pain in the butt, to be honest.

You have to go to extra trouble to pack something, be at home for a courier or else take it to a depot etc.

All for something you just expected someone to pop around, pick up quickly & pay for on the spot. So a seller who agrees to pack, liaise with your courier etc is actually doing you a favour, they're not getting extra money for this.

Personally, if a buyer organised a courier then complained to me about the way that courier carried out the job, that they had damaged the item, I would be pretty put out if they expected me to wear the cost. In most ebay sales, it is the seller choosing the delivery method.

Put it another way, would you be happy for the seller to choose another courier at twice the cost if he felt they were better or more careful?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Once the buyer arranges the delivery the item is recognised as a Pick Up item and the seller is no longer responsible once the item is picked up by your courier.

You should have checked before organising your own pickup.

I have no idea what you might be covered for under the couriers own terms and conditions....but it will probably not be to your advantage.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

@amigaparadigm wrote:

Was this originally listed as a pick up item?

I would imagine if you then enter into private arrangements for the item to be personally collected, even by courier, that would come under the umbrella of 'pick up' with ebay.

From the perspective of a seller who was once in a similar situation, this sort of sale can be a real pain in the butt, to be honest.

You have to go to extra trouble to pack something, be at home for a courier or else take it to a depot etc.

All for something you just expected someone to pop around, pick up quickly & pay for on the spot. So a seller who agrees to pack, liaise with your courier etc is actually doing you a favour, they're not getting extra money for this.

Personally, if a buyer organised a courier then complained to me about the way that courier carried out the job, that they had damaged the item, I would be pretty put out if they expected me to wear the cost. In most ebay sales, it is the seller choosing the delivery method.

Put it another way, would you be happy for the seller to choose another courier at twice the cost if he felt they were better or more careful?

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

It falls under consumer law.
Thats to say your courier has a care of duty for the item, and this falls under australian consumer law.
** i am not a lawyer and encourage any one to do there own research on this area**
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@bakeandfry wrote:
Thats to say your courier has a care of duty for the item, and this falls under australian consumer law.
** i am not a lawyer and encourage any one to do there own research on this area**

I'd be pretty sure you are right here, but wouldn't it be the person who hired the courier who had to put in the claim for damages?

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

@bakeandfry wrote:

I'd be pretty sure you are right here, but wouldn't it be the person who hired the courier who had to put in the claim for damages?

Yes, that is correct. 

*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

You should have checked before organising your own pickup.

This is what I'm doing by writing here. Hence the question.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Sorry, the way I read it you had already organised your own courier and cleared it with the seller.

So the answer is....if you organise the courier the item is treated as a pickup item and the responsibility is yours once it is collected by the courier.  You also have limited options if the item is not as described.  As a pickup item you are supposed to check that it is as described before taking delivery of it.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

zi_2254
Community Member

Hi can I cancel order back my money because my girlfriend don’t like now I want buy her for valentine but she don’t want 

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Ask the seller instead of bumping a 6 year old thread that has nothing to do with your question.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply