Seller Requests Extra Postage.

Hi all

I have been dealing with a seller for the past two years, buying small collectables one or two at a time. Postage has always been as per the listing, international budget at around 8 Eurors or so from France to AU. Never any problem.

Purchased the last small collectable and the seller posted at the usual 8 as was included in the listing. Never thought anything of it at the time.

So it is posted and on the way to me and I get a message that the seller is demanding (He used Caps) that I need to send him 36.10 Euros?

That is 4 times what the listing and historically accepted.

The sign name on this message is different from the person that I have always dealt with in the past... (6 months ago).

I know thatI will recieve my item but I also wish to in the future buy from him again................I am betwixed and feel a bit pressured if you know what I mean.

I have been doing the Bay for a bloody long time and I tend to take postage loss in my stride while always learning how it all works of course.

I feel that this is different?

Any thoughts appreciated

Regards

B

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Sellers are not allowed to ask for extra postage costs after the item has been sold. You say the name of the account seller is different from your past transactions. It is possible the business has been sold ( also breaching ebays rules ) or a different family member has taken over the account. ( again not allowed unless ebay give the OK for this to occur )      That doesnt mean it doesnt happen though.

All up it is waving a few red flags to me. Proceed with caution.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Just a suggestion - 

Dear seller,

On all items I purchase I factor in the whole price, item plus postage.

Had the listing stated a higher postage price I probably would not have purchased it.

The eBay rules clearly state a buyer is only obligated to paying what is shown in a listing and had I made an error in a listing I would not expect the buyer to pay any extra.

Having said that, I wish to continue being a customer of your items and am prepared to send a further (25-50%) of the postage for good order sake.

If you are happy with that arrangement please resend you PayPal email address.

Thank you, kind regards,

Select 25% or 50% whatever you are happy with.

image host
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Is the item a bigger item,(eg: heavier and so may cost more to post?)

I wouldn't offer them any extra money for postage as that can open you up for a demand for extra postage

on every other item you may purchase from them.

Maybe ask the question first as to why they think that they are entitled to extra money,(as you know what the

postage cost is due to being a regular customer).

They can't demand extra so you shouldn't pay extra.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Is the seller perhaps using a more expensive postage service now?

Could you post the item number here so someone can have a look for you.  Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes sees somthing you have missed.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Dont pay yet

Wait until you have received the item and take note of  how much postage is on it.

If it is indeed a great deal higher, then perhaps you will feel better about paying the added costs.

Until then, it could all be a big rouse!

Just my thoughts on the issue at hand.

xxj

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@alectraproject wrote:

Hi all

I have been dealing with a seller for the past two years, buying small collectables one or two at a time. Postage has always been as per the listing, international budget at around 8 Eurors or so from France to AU. Never any problem.

Purchased the last small collectable and the seller posted at the usual 8 as was included in the listing. Never thought anything of it at the time.

So it is posted and on the way to me and I get a message that the seller is demanding (He used Caps) that I need to send him 36.10 Euros?

That is 4 times what the listing and historically accepted.

The sign name on this message is different from the person that I have always dealt with in the past... (6 months ago).

I know thatI will recieve my item but I also wish to in the future buy from him again................I am betwixed and feel a bit pressured if you know what I mean.

I have been doing the Bay for a bloody long time and I tend to take postage loss in my stride while always learning how it all works of course.

I feel that this is different?

Any thoughts appreciated

Regards

B

8 euros is roughly $12. That is a very low cost for international postage so I am assuming the collectable is extremely small, something like a postcard or whatever that can fit in an envelope?

For a seller to list a small item as $12 postage but then demand an extra $54 is extremely unreasonable. It is way out of line. All I can think of is the item may have been a slightly different shape or bigger & needed to be posted as a small parcel?

All the same, as a gesture of goodwill, the seller could have explained, then asked if you would be willing to split the extra 50/50.

The fact they demanded extra, in caps no less, was rude. For that reason, I would not be paying at this stage.

I would do as Kopes suggested and contact them and ask why there is such a huge increase. Explain that with previous purchases from them, postage has always been around the 8 euro mark and you can understand there may be an increase but over 4 times the price seems excessive.

If  this is the price they had to pay for a parcel, then you can bet your bottom dollar they will be a bit more careful with international postage quotes in future & you're not going to get any more for 8 euros postage, so you have nothing to lose by making a polite query, standing your ground and not paying at this stage.

If you decide later to compensate, I would not do it to the tune of the full $54 either. It was their mistake, you bought on the advertised price, I think a partial refund, if any, would be adequate.

But I would ask first about the demand and I probably would not refund a cent because by the sounds of it, whoever is in charge of the account wouldn't be grateful for a partial refund anyway. You'd just do your dough because they would probably block you from further purchases anyway, or maybe block all future international buyers.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply