Seller not sending a winning bid item, seller asking for more money.

zorba069
Community Member

After a winning bid and payment can a seller say he made a mistake with the postage he asked for in the ad, I paid what was asked  for and now he is not sending my winning bid item until I pay more money.

Isn't the final bid at the time of the auction finishing binding, can I be asked to pay more especially as he has in his ad has the following "Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing."

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

It sounds like the seller realises he has stuffed up by starting the auction at 99c. EBay actually advise to start at 99c to gain more attention. It's a rookie mistake to follow that advice. The days of starting at 99c and having a bidding war are long gone. Even if the seller didn't ask for more money, the fees he'll pay are way more than 99c, so he won't just be breaking even, he'll be in the red.

There is nothing you can do to get the seller to send the item. If they are a new seller offer to cancel and explain they should always start an auction at the minimum they are willing to accept. If they are an experienced seller, leave bad feedback and put in an item not received claim. I know buyers will mention contracts and what not, but you still can't force the seller to post the item. The "contract" wouldn't stand up in court.

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

And all the seller has to say is sorry I dropped it and it broke.
Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

now springy, if the shoe was on the other foot all the sellers on here would be ranting and raving about non- paying bidders so where is this any different? the seller should honour the sale and learn from the mistake.

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

Should...

I remember a saying "People have been shoulding on you all your life".

And it means what it infers.

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

@bsal6160 wrote:

now springy, if the shoe was on the other foot all the sellers on here would be ranting and raving about non- paying bidders so where is this any different? the seller should honour the sale and learn from the mistake.

In the past when we were selling, we sometimes lost out on some of our sales by misquoting postage. We really didn't want any negs so we copped it.

But 'should' a seller always honour a sale and 'learn from the mistake'?

I'm more pragmatic now and I believe the answer is no, not always.

If the difference is small, a seller might decide to absorb it, but I don't believe they should if the difference is a big one.

If someone lists a really expensive item for 99c, then usually the buyer is well aware that's not a fair price. They are willing to take advantage of the seller. That's the key point, to me.

Sure, sellers here do complain about non paying buyers & they issue a strike (or often they do). But no one can actually force the buyer to pay up, that never happens.

In the same way if a seller sells at a ridiculously low price or if the postage cost is seriously underquoted, then I think it is fine if they back out too. I would advise it. They can get a neg from the buyer. That's their lesson.

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

I know his address.
Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

Exactly, If I was doing it as a business like the seller is doing and this happened to me I would cop it sweet, $12 is a cheap lesson to learn.

Thanks for your great reply
Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

Ebay says that the seller and I have a binding contract, I'm on a pension and every dollar is important to me. I won the item legitimately so if he doesn't send it I will make sure that his customers know what his business ethics are like.
Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

It is a little hard to break heavy gauge steel by just dropping it,
Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

At least someone has morals. well said. $12 is a very cheap business lesson.
Message 20 of 27
Latest reply