Seller send his Web site to me in a ebay message.

After purchase. Seller has sent me a ebay message with a web site to buy from him. By passing ebay in the future. Is he allowed to do this by ebay rules? Or is that frowned upon?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Yes. No, as long as he isn't advertising on eBay in order to drive potential customers to his website. Which he doesn't appear to be doing.

Would a business card/flyer included in the package be acceptable? I know I'm not the only one who does that.

Bottom line - why does it matter? You bought, paid and got (or will get) your item through eBay. Your future purchases are YOUR choice. You now have more options.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Technically the seller is breaching eBay's policies by doing it, but wether eBay will take action on it is another matter.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html

Edit. G'day Dave, snap sort of.........................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

If you can buy from their web site cheaper then the only reason I can think of for you to be bothered is if you are a rival seller who doesn't have their own website. They are certainly allowed to put flyers in their ebay parcels and I would much rather have a link in an ebay email than an extra bit of paper to clutter up the recycle bin.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Quite often I have received business cards in with my parcels and they include websites etc and sometimes special offers.

I haven't received an ebay message as such but I don't mind in the least if I am given a card. Unless their price is a bit better on their website though, I would probably continue to buy on ebay.

I don't think sellers are supposed to have links in their actual ads and they aren't supposed to try to lure you into buying their item off ebay, but things such as business cards etc, I can't see that that is breaching ebay rules. The sale has already been made.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

It's when they use your paypal email address to spam you with emails every week that you've got something to worry about. I've had one that does this continually - perhaps because I gave them a neg (retaliation?).
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply