Seller wants return I want refund

I've purchased several items from China that are quite large (light but cumbersome) to recieve them and be unhappy as they are poor quality and not as described.

I started a return, asking for a refund and the seller messaged me saying they would agree if I sent them back. The cost to send back to China would be the same as the refund if I even got it.

What are my rights here? Will ebay generally just award a straight refund or do I need to send back?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Did you open the INAD with eBay's "money back guarantee? If so, then if eBay decides in your favour then the seller will have to reimburse you for the return postage (though Chinese sellers can drag their heels on that).

If you opened the case with Paypal then you have to pay for return postage.

Either way, do not close the dispute until you're happy with the outcome. 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

@lizd160904 wrote:

What are my rights here? Will ebay generally just award a straight refund or do I need to send back?

You have a right to a refund if the items aren't as described, the decision regarding whether return is required is the seller's, so you don't have a right to refuse to return them. 

Online shopping is not that far removed from shopping at your local stores. eg When someone purchases something at Target that's faulty, and contacts them say via Facebook asking for a refund, Target do not even consider providing it until the goods are returned to them, even if the buyer thought it was more trouble than it's worth.

Where online shopping differs is the product location - I know many people don't buy with the expectation the products won't live up to their description, but the possibility they won't (and any subsequent implications if they're not as described) should always factor into a purchase decision. 

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Why not buy Australian and support our local economies?

I'm sure you'll be more satisfied than paying pennies for the rubbish that comes out of China and then complaining about it.

Half the reason they sell it so cheap is that their postage is subsidised by their government so it cost them virtually nothing to mail out their junk and they know it will cost you much more to try and return it.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

In addition to the other information posted, this is straight from Australian consumer law:

IMG_4201.JPG

So in theory, you aren't (if, as you say, the goods are expensive to send back) liable for return post.

The way this is normally phrased is "it is cost prohibitive to return". Not sure if this will help you any, just throwing it out there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

I would think Australian consumer laws cover items purchased here though, not in China.
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Actually...no.

If you buy from a legitimate retailer it applies i.e. amazon (they pay return or let you keep a faulty item if it is expensive).

It is a point of law to use when approaching eBay or Paypal with a claim.

Paypal instituted the free returns program for exactly these situations...with this law in mind.

Doing a claim the right way should not be leaving the buyer out of pocket. If they know what to say/follow conditions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

If the claim is through Paypal, make sure you read their returns policy- you can get 45$ back on return postage.

You need to activate that on your Paypal account (opt-in). Refunded returns.

Good luck.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Basically it is a point to argue...as I said, I didn't know if it would help here.

eBay has given me refunds on return as a one-off when I bring it up. The Chinese seller wouldn't care.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

...and now 'cause I am interested, Chinese consumer law protects the buyer too for return costs if:

IMG_4207.PNG

Something else to argue.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply