Sellers 'OUT OF STOCK' still costs buyers

Why are SO MANY sellers with listings, later contacting the buyers and informing them ' there's a mistake and the item isn't available'.

IF IT"S NOT AVAILABLE, DON"T SELL IT !!!!! 

It still costs the buyer - Bank fee's, credit card fee's, Ebay and paypal fee's, and exchange rate fee's ........ NONE of which the buyer gets back. One seller screwed me around for over a week before issuing a refund, even marked the item as refunded BEFORE the refund was done ..... so DON"T rust the little list amongst your listings, check your account to make sure refunds are done.

From now on, if an item isn't in stock, yet I've paid for it, sellers can expect a negative feedback for wasting my time and money.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Q.  as a buyer just what ebay and paypal fees are you paying???

A.  [ABSOLUTELY NONE]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

You should get your full Paypal payment back, usually on a simple reversal of the initial payment, if you pay that way. The seller will have to cover any other expenses they had e.g. eBay fees. The seller gets their Paypal fees back on a reversal style refund.

if you are out on the exchange rate, inform the seller and politely request the difference.

same with any bank fees. That is all you can do. Request it, they are not obliged to do anything except refund the original payment.

with sellers like this, unless it is a genuine mistake, I make a note never to deal with them ever again.

what the majority are doing is maintaining the listing in search rankings based on number of sales. They may or may not ever get new stock for that listing.

so it annoys me too, but i am not usually out of pocket as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

If the seller refunds through the Refund button there will be no loss on the conversion fees....paypal refunds exactly the same amount at the same rate as you paid.

If you have a bank account that is charging you transaction fees for everything you pay for then think about changing your bank.   I put hundreds of transaction through my bank account every month and never pay any fees at all....not even an account keeping fee.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I have had that happen with a refund recently as well. I was refunded $10 USD which paypal then converted into AUD and then converted back into USD, and my account now states that I have $9.84 USD credit rather than $10.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

The only time I have ever had a discrepancy in the refunded amount was when it was longer than 30 days after the initial payment and the exchange rate had changed substantially.

Paypal guarantees to refund at the same exchange rate for 30 days.

Why did you have a double exchange?  What currency did you pay in?

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Technically it wasn't converted back to USD I realise now, I just thought it was because my paypal was set to USD as primary  currency due to the number of US purchases I make and I never bothered changing it from the USD default.

It was a transaction in USD, but obviously funded from my Aussie bank account, so apparently when they refund it they have to convert it back to Aussie dollars and then it is shown in USD (for my particular account). It would be nice if you had the choice to just accept refunds in your paypal primary currency if you so choose, but apparently that isn't an option paypal are willing to offer. I've now made AUD my primary currency, as it seems pointless to me to have it set to USD seeing as I don't sell.

I think I need to look into a new debit card to avoid paypal conversions and also to avoid the poor exchange rates & fees offered by my particular bank.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

If you are not selling there is no point having your paypal account set to US$.  It means that you are continually paying conversion fees when you take money from your bank account/credit card and then converting it back again if you take it out of paypal.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I don't ever maintain a paypal balance unless I am refunded for a purchase,and never bother withdrawing funds back to my bank. I would just prefer that USD refunds were left as they are instead of being automatically converted by Paypal into Aussie dollars.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Set your primary currency to $US. Or move there. I admit it is a bit rich for Paypal to assume an Australian might like to deal in their own currency. How dare they.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply