Sellers using my email address to send me spam emails without my consent

Ok, so I purchased from an ebay seller. Transaction went through as per normal, then a week later I start getting spam emails from that very seller!  I did NOT sign up to receive their emails!!!  Why is it that sellers think that it's ok to use my private email information to add me to their mailout without my consent?????  I messaged the seller, said to take me off their mailout, only for them to reply they don't have me on their mailout!  Yeah right!  So I sent them a snapshot of their lastest mailout!  This isnt' a once off thing, it's happening more and more and it's getting more than annoying!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I'm not condoning them sending unsolicited emails - but from a seller's point of view I will say that things are very quiet at the moment and they are using this method to drum up some business.  While it's not something I have done - it is interesting hearing that others are doing it and the reaction from buyers. 

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Unwanted mail - http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/account/unwanted-email.html#others

You can also add them to your BBL and tick the box to block communications in eBay.

If it is direct to your email you can block them there.

Just move it to junk, select it and block.

image host
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

If they are coming to your email address direct not through ebay messages then there should be an unsubscribe link somewhre. If there isn't or you continue to receive emails after unsubscribing you need to send them an email asking them to stop contavting you. Next email you get after that report it to your email provider as spam and also send a complaint to their email provider, send it to abuse@whatever their provider is.whatever.

Do that with each email for a while and then just delete any that come without reading them, they are only wasting their own time and cyberspace then.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Sorry for my lack of replies, I didn't get any notifications that anyone had responded to my post, so thankyou for your reply.

While I understand entirely that business is slow at the moment, I like you, would never use someone else's email address to add them to my mailout without their consent.  Not only is it against ebay's policies, it's just another form of spam!

If it was just a once off, I probably wouldn't be so upset.  But in the space of about 2 weeks, I had 3 different sellers do the exact same thing!  Mind you, they are big sellers, have thousands of items listed!

I followed all the instructions given to me from ebay on how to block them or unsubscribe, but why should I unsubscribe when I never subscribed in the first place!

How often is this happening and is it now the 'norm' from the big sellers to do this?

I've now also changed my email address.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

All you had to do is add them to your junk list, you would never have to read them and they would have been deleted after 10 days.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I can understand a seller sending off an email, but to me, what they should do is, instead of automatically subscribing you (which is rude), send an email to say that as a past customer, would you be interested in receiving occasional emails from them about special offers & items.

Then, if you were interested, you could hit 'subscribe.'

I imagine they might get some interested customers that way but at least you would have the option to sign yourself up-or not.

The other thing I have had some sellers do is include a business card in with the purchase, listing their website. Others include small notice with website details and a 5%-10% discount offer to buy there. Those are more tempting.Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I know this is a very old post but I found a solution. I've been getting a lot of spam emails from buyers and some I unsubscribed but still continues to send me spam. I even changed my eBay email address and PayPal email address and found out it was my eBay email address these sellers are using to spam me. I don't care what people say, spam wastes "my" time. Yes I subscribe to certain online shops but use a designated email address. After doing some research, I found out we can forward eBay spam to spam@ebay.com Found info on this site https://techlogon.com/fight-back-against-ebay-seller-mailing-list-spam/
Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

I have been on ebay for 14 years and have always known about and used the spam@ebay.com. address when necessary.

It is not new.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Like this thread lyndal hahaha

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply