Selling at an advertised price

I was on eBay yesterday and found a product I have been looking for. The advertised price for Buy it now was around $10. I accepted and completed the payment to find a message in my inbox saying that the price was a lot less than they would sell it for. Do they still need to sell the product to me as it was advertised at that price?? They also cancelled the order before discussing it with me.
Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately no-one can force the seller to complete the transaction.

I can perhaps understand a seller cancelling an auction if they don't get the price they hoped for but not a BIN.

Unfortunately that is the reality of ebay.

All I can suggest is to keep looking.....but leave feedback to the effect that the seller does not complete transactions.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

@gradylindsell wrote:
Do they still need to sell the product to me as it was advertised at that price?? They also cancelled the order before discussing it with me.

Pricing errors occur all the time - in a normal situation, like in a retail outlet, the seller isn't obliged to honour the advertised price -  they can choose to honour it, or they can withdraw the item from sale instead (which is essentially the option to not honour the advertised price).  

Unfortunately in online retail, it's more difficult to be alerted to an error and make that choice prior to an order being made, so even though I'm sure it's frutsrating and disappointing when something like this happens, if it was a genuine mistake, a little bit of understanding can go a long way. 

The seller might have considered cancelling the transaction to be the most appropriate course of action, as they could have given the wrong impression if instead, they had messaged to say the price was wrong and requested additional payment etc. (i.e. making it look like an intentional bait and switch tactic).

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

You can't force the sale, but at the very least the seller could & should have apologised or explained they had made an error in the listing.

If they didn't say any of that, if they just cancelled the sale, I'd give them neg feedback.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply