TRACKING 'INITIATED'.

I made a purchase last month and on the 20th the seller marked the item as sent and included a tracking number - after waiting long enough for the parcel to arrive I decided to enter the tracking number into the AusPost tracking service and the response was the parcel had been 'initiated'.. not knowing what that meant, i looked it up and the answer from AusPost was this..

"

The tracking status 'initiated' means that the sender has entered shipping information into our online system, and either:

a) the pickup has not yet been recorded in our tracking system, OR
b) Australia Post has not yet received the item from the sender

Pickup information is usually confirmed within 24 hours."

So anyway, during all of this, the seller has completely ignored any of my messages.. not even a simple 'sorry, i will look into it' - just ignored me completely. It was only a small item but it is so frustrating. 

Has anyone else had this 'initiated' thing come up while entering a tracking number and is it some kind of scam? I am wondering if paypal will refund my payment as there is a tracking number, even though it seems that AusPost has not even received the parcel. 

Mainly I am annoyed that the seller can't even seem to bother to respond to my messages, or to the message in the paypal claim procedure that I decided to use. 

Does anyone know if my claim will be successful considering that there is a tracking number? I feel like the seller is trying to pull a swifty. 

I have found ebay to be a great way to buy and sell in the past, but occasionally things like this happen and it really does put a damper on the enjoyment of using this method of buying goods online. 

seriously, how hard is it to respond to a message?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

TRACKING 'INITIATED'.

Depending on the service they used and how it was lodged (if it was), it could also mean Australia Post haven't scanned it. For example, if I create a parcel label via Click & Send, I get the tracking number straight away, which - because my eBay and C&S accounts are linked - also then automatically uploads to eBay and marks the item as sent.

AP's tracking will show that as initiated until the parcel is scanned. That will happen if I lodge it over the counter at a post office, but if I drop it in a red street box, the status will usually remain as 'initiated' until the day of delivery, which is the only time (other than lodgement over the counter), my C&S parcels seem to get scanned, but even then there's no guarantee it will be. 

An item will remain as initiated for as long as AP will show tracking for it (60 days, I think) if the seller doesn't actually post the item after creating the label, or it is never scanned for one reason or another. 

That being said, the seller's lack of response isn't exactly confidence-inspiring, and given that it's been nearly 3 weeks, even if the package was travelling to/from areas that often mean longer delivery times (eg Tas, WA, regional areas), on average a parcel would generally have arrived in that time.

In so far as the PayPal claim goes, the seller needs to provide proof of postage - that means proving the article was posted to you, and is at least in the mail system, either with a scan event (not including initiated), or a stamped lodgement form - if they can't do that, the claim will most likely close in your favour (I say most likely because for obvious reasons I can't guarantee it - PP do get it wrong sometimes, and if by any chance the "initiated" tracking is provided or accepted as proof of postage, you will probably have to phone PayPal to explain that the tracking doesn't actually indicate an item was posted).

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

TRACKING 'INITIATED'.

thanks for your quick reply - it is infuriating that the seller hasn't bothered responding to my ebay messages, or the paypal dispute messages or anything at all.. luckily, this is one of the rare occasions I have had to deal with a less than helpful seller.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

TRACKING 'INITIATED'.

If you have opened a Paypal dispute and the seller has not responded I would escalate it to a claim. The seller then has 10 days to respond with a valid trackng number, if they provide the number you have and it still does not show it is in the system you should call Paypal and explain that the tracking only shows as initiated, it does not show the item has been posted.

If the seller doesn't contact Paypal within the 10 days then they should refund your payment.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

TRACKING 'INITIATED'.

Does anyone know if my claim will be successful considering that there is a tracking number?

Yes your claim will be successful. The seller has to provide proof of postage to your suburb. Tracking number alone unless it shows delivery to your suburb doesn't comply with the requirements for the seller to be protected therefore you will win an item not received claim.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply