To send item back to a seller, how should I post it?

I recently bought a movie from a seller. It had the wrong disc inside the case. The seller has offered to refund my payment, provided that I post it back.

Obviously, the seller has to reimburse me the cost of sending the item back. Question is, do I need to post it by registered mail and/or with signature on delivery?

Also, I have not yet opened an 'Item Significantly Not As Described' case. It seemed more polite to just message the seller, however, is that a necessity to protect myself as a buyer?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Firstly, as a Seller myself I'd like to say you did the right thing by contacting them direct first instead of opening a Case. It sounds like it's an honest mistake & they are prepared to put it right for you. If you open a Case it would give them a Defect under this crazy new System. Also, don't be alarmed by them wanting the Disc back first. That is not only standard Business Practice but THEY are probably nervous too because the new Ebay Money Back Guarantee has opened up a whole new way for Buyers to scam Sellers... i.e. Get your money back & keep the item.

That said though - I'd have a look at their Feedback & if it looks good then just send it back either way you decide & feel comfortable with. Otherwise, I'd definitely return it with Sig Required & keep all E-Mails etc. So if no Replacement is forth coming then you open a Case.

Others might have other ideas, but that is my advice.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Hi, Hamsy. Thanks for the response.

Looking at the Australia Post website, it sounds like sending the movie back as a 'Registered Post Letter' would be the most sensible option as it includes Signature on Delivery.

That is, assuming that it would be okay to post the disc back using the letter rate given that it is not, in fact, a letter.

I will still wait around and see what everyone else has to say, but I appreciate for the advice so far.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

you will need to post it back in a padded bag at least $1.20. it will cost you $1.40 for 2 stamps and for a rego label 3.50 I think.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Good on you for contacting the seller first.

Has the seller given you the correct address to post back to?

I think the registered fee is $3.70 now, plus the $2.10 postage.     It is perfectly acceptable to send as a large letter - hopefully with a padded bag or cardboard protection.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Hi curraone

No, the seller hasn't confirmed an address to post it back to, however, his return address is on the padded bag that he sent the movie in. Is it important to confirm that it is the same address he wants it posted back to?

The seller has not, by the way, actually offered to pay for return postage yet -- he has just asked for it to be returned for a refund -- so I thought that I should check out how much it will cost me to send it with buyer protection. Then I can reply "yes, I will send it back when you send me _______ to cover the cost of doing so".

From what I have read elsewhere, using the dispute system will direct the seller to an option to send a postage label. I would like to get through this process without defecting the seller if possible. If there is another way to get him to send a postage label, that might be the simplest...

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I would get the seller to confirm if they are paying for return postage first before sending the item back. if not then you will have to open a item not as received dispute. ebay will hold the sellers money for the item until the seller gets the item back and you will be refunded. Don't send the item back otherwise you might lose both money and item.
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks, Harley. That sounds like good advice.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:
I would get the seller to confirm if they are paying for return postage first before sending the item back. if not then you will have to open a item not as received dispute. ebay will hold the sellers money for the item until the seller gets the item back and you will be refunded. Don't send the item back otherwise you might lose both money and item.

earning the seller a defect when they have already offered to fix the problem, I don't see why we can't resolve by email alone.
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@justajunk wrote:

Hi, Hamsy. Thanks for the response.

Looking at the Australia Post website, it sounds like sending the movie back as a 'Registered Post Letter' would be the most sensible option as it includes Signature on Delivery.

That is, assuming that it would be okay to post the disc back using the letter rate given that it is not, in fact, a letter.

I will still wait around and see what everyone else has to say, but I appreciate for the advice so far.

Does registered post letter include tracking?. You probably should send it back with a service that has tracking and will show that it has been delivered to the sellers address

Is it a DVD Disc and the cover or just the disc? As long as the package is less than 2cm high it can go as a letter.

You can also buy prepaid registered post envelopes at the PO in different sizes.  

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply