What would you do

esayaf
Community Member
I asked an American seller that is using the GSP if they would consider sending via USPS first class international instead.
After three days I get a reply. He claims USPS first class international can't be used as the item weight is one pound ten ounces and is therefore over weight.
I know this is not true but I thought I'd check and lo and behold USPS first class international is good for up to four pounds or 64 ounces.
So do I then send a message to say he is wrong or just leave it. Most sellers get upset when you correct them especially those from north America from my experience.
It seems to me that he just wants the convenience of the GSP. I don't want the extra expensive super slow service that the GSP provides
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

What would you do

If the seller is unable or unwilling to assist you I would just move on and find another seller.  Not really worth stressing over IMO

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

What would you do

you can ask a seller if they would use an alternative to the GSP but you cant make them.

i have had similar experiences with sellers using GSP and most cant be bothered changing, its just easier to use GSP.

so i dont buy, they lose.

i buy very few items from overseas where GSP is in operation.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

What would you do

esayaf
Community Member
I can't get it elsewhere as it is the only one on eBay. I just hate being lied to. Especially when it is so blatant.
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

What would you do

Try sending them the link to the USPS pricing

If they don't know how to opt out of the GSP then send them this info -

To opt out of the GSP US sellers only have to go into

(My eBay summary page)

account > site preferences > shipping preferences > Offer the Global Shipping Program > edit > no

Otherwise, you have to move on.   I would not go down the GSP route if I were you

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

What would you do

esayaf
Community Member
Thanks, Imastawka. Might ponder this one a bit longer.
I really hate the GSP but every now and then I have to use it as the seller refuses to send directly.
It may be that they were misinformed and are just passing on that misinformation.
Last US seller I was able to convince to send me the item directly was told that the tracking number was a customs reference only. I was able to slightly convince them that it was a tracking number so that they would upload it. So the staff of wherever they sent it from didn't know their job. It is very annoying to not even live in a country but know their shipping processes better than the inhabitants of said country
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

What would you do

@esayaf wrote:
Thanks, Imastawka. Might ponder this one a bit longer.
I really hate the GSP but every now and then I have to use it as the seller refuses to send directly.
It may be that they were misinformed and are just passing on that misinformation.
Last US seller I was able to convince to send me the item directly was told that the tracking number was a customs reference only. I was able to slightly convince them that it was a tracking number so that they would upload it. So the staff of wherever they sent it from didn't know their job. It is very annoying to not even live in a country but know their shipping processes better than the inhabitants of said country

I still get sellers who insist there's no tracking with USPS 1st Class Int.  Well there is and there isn't.....not all countries have E-DELCON but it does work here.  I have sent a link to the relevant USPS page a few times.  It's annoying though - it's not our place to educate Americans about their own postal service.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

What would you do

They want to stay with the GSP because they are protected by the Program.

Negs are removed and no defects apparently.

I can understand that much at least

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

What would you do

@esayaf wrote:
I can't get it elsewhere as it is the only one on eBay. I just hate being lied to. Especially when it is so blatant.

There's a whole internet out there that doesn't include eBay. Unless you reckon it's the only of its kind in existence. In which case you would be better off buying it before somebody else does.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

What would you do

esayaf
Community Member
I have looked for it with everyone that deals in these items when second hand. Been out of production for thirty years, so it is hard to find. It is incomplete and I think that is putting everyone else off.
Someone else has the missing item listed but they too are using the GSP and they state in their listing that they only use the GSP for international sales.
I'm really not wanting to give eBay and Pitney Bowes more of my money than I have to but I'm a hopeless collector
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply