Why are ebay endorsing FedEx? Rant!

Ive had recent problems with items not arriving on time from the US. When i have tracked the item I see that it arrives in Australia with no problem and then all progress stops. The first time I enqiured with ebay, they tell me the item has been transfered to FedEx for delivery but when I inquire with FedEx they tell me the tracking number isnt theirs! What good is this tracking info if you cant tell who has your package! Suddenly the item arrived. Fancy that....

The next case was from the same buyer and I had the same issue. The package made it to Australia and the stops with FedEx! Im currently still waiting for that package which is now 8 days past the latest delievery date which was the 5th May. This time ebay provided me with a new tracking number for FedEx and on their website my item is sitting at a rural depot and has been for the last 10 days. My item was shipped priority mail from the US but on FedEx's site its listed as economy..I asked for a refund so I could buy the item from a different forum as I need it quite urgently. I looked at my cases progress and ebay have put it on HOLD until th 17th! to gather more documentation....So I googled FedEx and ebay and up comes an endorsement from ebay for sellers to sign up to use FedEx through thier ebay sales to recieve discounted rates on postage.

Do the sellers know thier items arent arriving at the correct time? Do they realise why they might get bad feedback? What point is complaining to ebay when they are in bed with FedEx!

Today is Saturday 13th of May. What's the bet my item arrives on Monday now.....

Message 1 of 53
Latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Hi trembla007, the transactions that you made, auction or buy it now, were they part of that Global Shipping / Pitney Bowes racket?

I purchased some items from a seller who wanted to send them to me via USPS (First Class International)  but somehow it reverted back to Global Shipping and he couldn't change the page. Often using this Global Shipping, you can end up paying double, sometimes triple and yes on occasion, I have seen postage costing quadruple the amount of  what USPS Airmal First Class charges.

Anyway, after having to bite the bullet and partake in this excercise which I found distasteful, I round another party besides Global Shipping/Pitney Bowes was involved. It was FedEx. They wanted my full details and then gave me conflicting info. They said my items were being held (Somewhere) and would be sent back to the sender unless I provided a delivery address as well as my full name details. What!, I've never had that requirement before. Finally I did but with a stern warning that if any personal info is passed to marketing companies, I would make sure action would be taken.  In the end, they ended up putting the package (Looks like it was opnened and repacked) into the post system and I finally got my items.

The fact that I was told 2 things by Fedex, one that my items were to be sent back, two they do not deilver items to a mail box and I have to have them delivered to an address makes this the very last time I engage in this. Anyway I did get the items and had to pay $$ more than I would have with standard post, tells me that this should be the very last time I deal with a Global Shipping auction. So if a rare, collectable item comes up and seller refuses to change the auction settings for what ever reason, I'll just have to tell myself that this is a sad situation and deal with it best I can.

Oh yeah, BTW: The tracking number I was given didn't work for some reason.

Message 2 of 53
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

. . . . . Anyway I did get the items and had to pay $$ more than I would have with standard post, tells me that this should be the very last time I deal with a Global Shipping auction. So if a rare, collectable item comes up and seller refuses to change the auction settings for what ever reason, I'll just have to tell myself that this is a sad situation and deal with it best I can.

in the interests of providing helpful information that expands on what 4channel has written, if the GSP amount seems excessive there are things you can do prior to purchase to ensure that the amount charged for GSP is a correct amount so that you can make an informed choice about whether to bid or buy.

These have been pointed out on other threads so I will keep this brief.

Send the seller a message and ask them to input the item's dimensions and weight so that an approriate amount will show for the GSP.  If a seller has not put the dimensions/weight into their listing specifics the GSP charge is determined by an algorithm based on other items listed in the same category, regardless of whether it is lighter and/or smaller than other items in the same category.

This second method relies on communicating with the seller and seeing if they are willing to send by other means and requesting that they disable the GSP on the item you want.  Many USA sellers are are unaware that they have been opted in to the GSP, so they may need specific instructions on how to disable the GSP on a listing by listing basis.

Then, as pointed out by 4channel, if the seller refuses (or is unable) to change the listing you can exercise you rights as a buyer to not bid or buy.

Message 3 of 53
Latest reply

Sorry for whats happened but I don't like the part about you saying do the sellers know the items aren't getting delivered on time

and do they realize they might get bad feedback?

I for one am sick and tired of buyers blaming sellers for slow deliveries and then giving sellers bad feedback for something that isn't

their fault seriously,blame the postal service as it starts and stops with them lol.

Message 4 of 53
Latest reply

eezi it depends on sellers sending in a timely manner. Buyers can, and rightly so, complain when sellers take their sweet time posting.
Message 5 of 53
Latest reply

Posting time and delivery time are 2 entirely different things. I'm with Eezi on this one. I can post within an hour of payment and then it takes 6 weeks to get from one side of the country to the other. Why should I be blamed because of that?

Message 6 of 53
Latest reply

Ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me.

Because people need to complain when they don't get perfection in an imperfect world, and sellers are the easy or only accessible target.

As a totally on-topic observation - I regularly buy stuff from the US, the seller uses FedEx and I generally get my items in under a week. Which has nothing to do with the OP's rant, but is based on reality.

Message 7 of 53
Latest reply

Hi again trembla007, I'd like expand on what I said here with ... 

"So if a rare, collectable item comes up and seller refuses to change the auction settings for what ever reason, I'll just have to tell myself that this is a sad situation and deal with it best I can."

What I said, is how I deal with the outcome. But, that doesn' mean we have to put up with this forever. I am hopeful that it will realised that we, the buyers are the ones that make ebay a success.

At this particular time, there are many people hurting because of this horrific incidious thing called Global Shipping. It has ruined a lot of the fun that ebay ised to provide by hitting people were it hurts most. The fact that people are having to fork out and pay double, even triple postage costs compared to what they would pay with USPS is beyond tragic! An example, buying a dvd from a seller who sends via USPS.

Here's an example on 2 dvd's to Australia

* $20.49   International Priority Shipping  to Australia  via the Global Shipping Program  ($27.6073AUD)

*   $9.85   USPS First Class Mail International / First Class Package International Service ($13.2720AUD)

Now given that via USPS an item arrives in 2 weeks or slightly less and USPS doesn't gather info or give 3rd & 4th parties your info (AFAIK) and you won't be pelted by marketing companies, which service is best?

Well, I have never had anything go missing via USPS first class international and the only 2 times that it took ages was when sellers mistakenly sent items via surface mail.

My 2 experiences with Global Shipping have left a sour taste in my mouth and one transaction, I never recieved the rare item I bid on and won.

Message 8 of 53
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Here's an example on 2 dvd's to Australia

* $20.49   International Priority Shipping  to Australia  via the Global Shipping Program  ($27.6073AUD)

*   $9.85   USPS First Class Mail International / First Class Package International Service ($13.2720AUD)

Now given that via USPS an item arrives in 2 weeks or slightly less and USPS doesn't gather info or give 3rd & 4th parties your info (AFAIK) and you won't be pelted by marketing companies, which service is best?

Well, I have never had anything go missing via USPS first class international and the only 2 times that it took ages was when sellers mistakenly sent items via surface mail.

My 2 experiences with Global Shipping have left a sour taste in my mouth and one transaction, I never recieved the rare item I bid on and won.

While you have every right to complain about the GSP you really need to give the correct information rather than going into flights of fancy.

The GSP is not unduly expensive if sellers give the correct weights and measurements and it is definitely very cost effective for larger and heavier items.

The GSP does not give information to other parties.....I have never been "pelted by marketing companies" when I have used it from either the USA or the UK.

It must have been a very long time ago that you had items sent by surface mail......the US has not had surface mail for some 10 years now......not many current members would even know what you are talking about.

I have to agree with you that USPS does not lose very much mail, no matter which service is used.  I would be more than happy to use it in preference to the GSP but you really should not keep talking about USPS First Class International....it is not a service that every seller can and will use.

It has a weight limit of 4lbs and unless the seller pays extra it has no tracking or insurance, both of which are included in the GSP, as well as many of the more expensive USPS services.

By all means encourage members to ask about using USPS services but do not keep talking about First Class International as a lot of sellers will just refuse point blank to use it, even if they are made aware of the e-Delcon service which can be added for an extra fee.

Message 9 of 53
Latest reply

Lyndal1818,

You said ...

"While you have every right to complain about the GSP you really need to give the correct information rather than going into flights of fancy."

I'm not going into "flights of fancy." as you said and I have indeed provided the correct info. If you go back and read what I wrote, you'll see that I was talking about dvds.

You said ...

"The GSP is not unduly expensive if sellers give the correct weights and measurements and it is definitely very cost effective for larger and heavier items."

I'm not s sure aboutv that. I don't often buy heavy items but I have seen stuff like amplifiers, hi-fi components being shipped to Australia cheaper than Global Shipping.

You said ..

"The GSP does not give information to other parties.....I have never been "pelted by marketing companies" when I have used it from either the USA or the UK."

Well, FedEx hadf my details, that's another party. With USPS, the only party is the the seller and if registered, then the postal serrvice. Glad to hear you're not being pelted with marketing calls.

You said ...

"It must have been a very long time ago that you had items sent by surface mail......the US has not had surface mail for some 10 years now......not many current members would even know what you are talking about."

I've been a member since mid-2002 and have seen a few changes in my time. Yes it was a few years ago when I had stuff sent by surface mail. Gosh, I didn't realise they stopped that service. Some folks I know must be getting larger things sent via a shipping company. I know for a fact it's not Global Shipping / Pitney Bowes or FedEx. I'll have to enquire as to what they use just in case I buy a very heavy Hi-Fi component in the future.

You said ....

"I have to agree with you that USPS does not lose very much mail, no matter which service is used.  I would be more than happy to use it in preference to the GSP but you really should not keep talking about USPS First Class International....it is not a service that every seller can and will use.

It has a weight limit of 4lbs and unless the seller pays extra it has no tracking or insurance, both of which are included in the GSP, as well as many of the more expensive USPS services."

When you said "it is not a service that every seller can and will use", .Most sellers would prefer to use USPS but they errorneously believe that they have to go along with Global Shipping.

You said ... 

"By all means encourage members to ask about using USPS services but do not keep talking about First Class International as a lot of sellers will just refuse point blank to use it, even if they are made aware of the e-Delcon service which can be added for an extra fee."

Good point, I believe buyers need to be pro-active and ask sellers to please change the auction settings or paremeters to USPS etc.

Sellers that point blank refuse to use USPS First Class International would be doing themselves out of business. While the majority of sellers are good decent folk, there are some nasty arrogant peple out there plus some of the sheeple that believe "if it appears official and happeing then it must be right and I must go along with the consensus without question. Hence the term "sheeple".

The fact that there are scores of people  complaining and hurting over the Global Shipping sceme, calling it a scam, a rip off, extortion etc confirms what I have believed for a long time. It's just plain no good!

BTW: I have never had an item ever go missing via USPS. With the Global Shipping, my item was never sent.

Message 10 of 53
Latest reply