Why do some sellers wait until they receive feedback from the buyer before leaving their feedback

Why do some sellers wait until they receive feedback from the buyer before they leave their feedback about the buyer??

I Always pay as soon as a transaction is made, unless I'm waiting for another auction from the same seller to end, in which case I contact seller and let them know.

Many sellers give feedback as soon as sale is paid for, but I have noticed that some wait until I leave my feedback (when I've received the goods). Are they waiting to see if I'm going to leave neutral/ neg. feedback before they're prepared to give me positive for my fast transaction/payment??

Thankyou to the sellers who have the confidence to judge me on my performance.

Woman Happy

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Why do some sellers wait until they receive feedback from the buyer before leaving their feedback

Many sellers, myself included leave it until transaction is complete. (Buyer has item and indicated by leaving feedback)

Main reason, as a seller when I leave feedback the transaction is no longer on any reminder lists in ebay therefore leaving feedback until last reminds me of the transactions that may not have been received yet.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Leaving Feedback is voluntary as is feedback timing.

I leave feedback as soon as I post someones purchase, to thank them for their payment and confirm post date. 

I believe receiving feedback from sellers, and the timing of it, is also important for some buyers, and even seems to cause some issues inself for some sellers if they don't leave feedback when payment or goods are sent.  If you are confident in your products and service then I think that it is not worth the risk of annoying those buyers who have a clear preference regarding feedback. 

There are others that will be along soon to explain that they leave feedback at the end of a transaction after the buyer has received their goods.

IMO withholding feedback until a buyer leaves it for a seller does very little to contribute to buyer confidence and satisfaction with ebay generally.

However, it is a voluntary system so sellers and buyers have a choice to when, and if, they leave feedback.

Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

hi

i actually leave feedback as soon as the tracking site tells me item has been delivered

i feel this is the right time for me to leave feeback as a seller

its just the way i do it

everyone does it different an as its voluntary i think its up to each buyer and seller

as to when they want to leave it

ive had buyers leave me feedback after a month or not at all doesnt bother me

i know they got their item and they didnt have any issues

ive had seller leave feedback straight away.once they post.once they know i got it and not at all

tara

Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

@m-butcher-02 wrote:

Thankyou to the sellers who have the confidence to judge me on my performance.

Woman Happy

I will just point out that buyer performance isn't exclusive to payment, just like seller performance isn't exclusive to postage. There are many things that can happen post-payment that a buyer might do or not handle very well, so I personally understand the reasoning behind waiting until the transaction is 100% finalised before a seller leaves feedback, and IMHO it rarely has anything to do with waiting to see what FB the buyer leaves, although a buyer leaving it can be used as the signal that the transaction is finalised. 

I will also suggest that for those reasons, feedback as soon as payment is made is not a judgement of anything, nor an assessment of a buyer's part in the transaction (which is what feedback is intended to be), it's rather more an aknowledgement of / thanks for payment.

Feedback left when the transaction is 100% complete has the potential to be more meaningful than a simple 'paid quick, thanks' comment. 

And for the record, I leave feedback as soon as payment is received, but as stated I understand and respect why some sellers choose not to.

Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

I can't see the point in leaving feedback for someone just cos they paid me, Isn't that sort of an expectation?

I mostly leave it because it is kind of an expectation on here, as if people are buying feedback, not product. It's not like it really tells anyone anything doifferent to what we already know, eh? I mean a seller can only leave a positive dot with a positive comment, so if there's a dot there, chances are it doesn't really say anything.

Not sure why people need a pat on the back for managing to buy and pay for something on eBay - I mean apparently that's something that lots of pets and children manage to do, in one instance, somone's car keys managed it!

i manage to thank my customers and show my appreciation by including a small note in my package, packaging it well after wrapping it nicely and posting it promptly.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

Feedback is not something I give any thought to as a buyer, I have no idea if a seller leaves it or not. Once I receive an item I decide on the entire transaction what feedback if any I should leave and once I have done so I remove the item from my ebay page.

As a seller I leave feedback once I consider the transaction comlete, that means when the buyer leaves me feedback, when the buyer lets me know it has arrived or after abot 50 days as if I haven't heard anything by then I assume there isn't a problem.

As sellers cannot leave anything but positive feedback it is merely a tally of how many items a buyer had bought from sellers who have left feedback, why anyone feels a need to display that number is a mystery to me.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
Since stopping giving automatic feedback to buyers once they paid I have had far less negative/neutral feedback.
Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

Many sellers, myself included leave it until transaction is complete. (Buyer has item and indicated by leaving feedback)

Main reason, as a seller when I leave feedback the transaction is no longer on any reminder lists in ebay therefore leaving feedback until last reminds me of the transactions that may not have been received yet.

image host
Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

I understand where m-butcher is coming from. You pay quickly and then find some sellers withhold feedback till they have been given feedback.

I think crikey is missing one of the main reasons people might like feedback, and that is that a buyer isn't necessarily always just going to be a buyer. One day they might like to sell a few things too, and a higher score gives a more competent look. I don't care that it might all be for feedback as a buyer, it shows that you have been around ebay a while, are familiar with the system, have a reliable track record at least with buying.

How many times here do we see sellers saying things about 'new' buyers who may not know the ropes? Quite often. The same thing applies in reverse. Buyers look at a seller and if they have no feedback, then quite frankly you wonder, what have they got to lose by cutting and running? Not a lot.

So yeah, buyers don't mind accumulating a bit of a positive score either.

Mind you, I can sort of understand the perspective of sellers a bit better now, when they wait a bit to give feedback. What if some lying buyer pays fast, then claims they never got the item or kicks up a stink and gives neutral or negative over something that should have been obvious from the ad? I've seen it done a lot and no, ebay doesn't always remove it.

If you got that feedback from a buyer, you would be kicking yourself if you had given them a glowing report when they were a real dingaling troublemaker.

So on the whole, I am happy enough to get my feedback later, but I do watch, after every transaction, to see exactly when it is given and if it is not given at all, I think that seller is slack.

So yes, I'm a type A personality, I guess. Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

I leave feedback twice a week, regardless of whether the buyer has left feedback or not. It is just convenient for me to do it that way.

Sellers are not judging buyers by leaving feedback once feedback is left for them, they are acknowledging that a transaction has been completed and both parties are happy.

Message 10 of 40
Latest reply