Why is it a problem using my Post Office Box for deliveries? It is safe and reliable.

I am getting so cross with sellers refusing to deliver to my Post Office box for small to medium size items. It is my right as a buyer to nominate where I want my purchases delivered to. Post Offices are trustworthy, reliable and safe and, if I am away for any reason, they will hold parcels for me. Over the last week I have had to have 3 auctions cancelled as the sellers would not deliver as I wished. This is ridiculous.

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Why is it a problem using my Post Office Box for deliveries? It is safe and reliable.

Are these items located in australia. I have found it is mostly items from chinese or hong kong sellers that won't post to australian PO Boxes. I had this happen recently. It wasn't until I had purchased and tried to pay for the item that it blocked me saying had to change address. There was nothing in the exclusion parts of the listing saying no PO Boxes. I left appropriate feedback stating seller would not post to PO Box.
Message 2 of 46
Latest reply

My understanding is that if a courier service is used for deliveries (ie something other than Aust Post) then appropriate postage is due if it is delivered to a Post Office. A PO box is only for Aust Post mail. Could this be the issue?

Marina.

Message 3 of 46
Latest reply

In my case it was an australian seller using australia post (stated in listing) Still couldn't deliver to a PO Box
Message 4 of 46
Latest reply

Independent couriers ( not owned by or affiliated with Aust Post) can't deliver parcels to PO boxes. If sellers use those courier's services, then they won't accept a PO box as a delivery address.

I ordered some stationery last week ( not ebay), the postage was free in July - fast and free. I gave my PO Box. address. After a week and I hadn't been sent a despatch notice, I contacted them. They looked into it, and came back with "we don't deliver to
PO Boxes." It did not state that anywhere on their website. I cancelled the order. They should have contacted me earlier and asked for an alternate address.
Message 5 of 46
Latest reply

Possibly they have subscribed to the US eBay option to not deliver to PO Boxes. In that the US PO Box is a different animal to ours, but eBay AU still allows and recommends it?

Message 6 of 46
Latest reply

@muffiemagic wrote:

I am getting so cross with sellers refusing to deliver to my Post Office box for small to medium size items. It is my right as a buyer to nominate where I want my purchases delivered to.

I have to take point on that. It's actually a seller's right to choose method of delivery and/or where they will deliver to.

Don't get me wrong, I have a PO box and I would much rather I could get all of my purchases sent to it, but I am in no position to dictate a seller's business practices, so I either have to accept their choice, or find a seller who is able to accomodate my preferences.

Message 7 of 46
Latest reply

I would opt for the buyer preference and find another seller.

Which works for me as I only buy postage supplies on eBay, and Australia Post has no issues with delivering to PO Boxes.

Message 8 of 46
Latest reply

Some sellers choose to not deliver to PO boxes as a po box address is a much greater security risk re chargebacks and MOTO (card not present) credit card transactions.

https://www.anz.com.au/australia/Business/merchant/pdf/Fraudminimisation_datasecurityandChargebackgu...

page 12 13

http://www.stgeorge.com.au/business/payment-solutions/merchant-support/fraud-protection

Check the transaction

Be alert for card not present transactions that involve:

• First purchases, since they may allow fraud offenders to minimise the possibility of identification
  • Large dollar value orders that may be maximising purchases on stolen or falsified credit card accounts
  • Multiple unit orders that maximise resale value and profit potential of the goods being ordered
  • Orders shipped to Post Office boxes that may provide anonymity to fraud offenders
  • Orders shipped "rush" or "overnight" to deliver fraudulently obtained items as soon as possible for quick resale
  • Orders from free email services that don't require a billing relationship or verification that the email account was opened by a legitimate cardholder. These accounts may provide anonymity to fraud offenders.
  • Orders shipped to an international address that may be falsified.

http://www.nab.com.au/content/dam/nab/business/payments-merchants/merchant-assistance/documents/merc...

http://www.cottontech.com/scam_alert.html

Delivery Addresses:
Exhibit caution with orders that are being
shipped to international destinations you may not normally deal with.
Also delivery to Post Office Boxes can indicate potential fraud
Delivery Addresses:
Exhibit caution with orders that are being
shipped to international destinations you may not normally deal with.
Also delivery to Post Office Boxes can indicate potential fraud
atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 9 of 46
Latest reply

If paypal required buyers to email a signed order form with csc number attached then that would supply extra layers of security to a card not prtesent transaction.

To successfully defend a MOTO chargeback, the cardholder signature helps, delivery to the credit cards owners registered

address helps,  the csc number helps and the card expiry date helps.

Paypal does not allow any of the above. If the seller has their own merchant payment gateway then they are more likely to

post to po boxes after collecting the relevant information

Delivery to a PO box without any of the above information available is considered a high risk transaction

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 10 of 46
Latest reply