asking for feedback from a seller

is it rude to ask for feedback from a seller after receiving the item and leaving + feedback first?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Feedback is voluntary NOT mandatory

You are purchasing items NOT buying feedback and as sellers can only leave +ive there is no point in it really other than to show you have been buying via ebay.

Some sellers leave it weekly, some monthly and some have it set to be left as soon as it is received and some do not even bother with it.

And some may not leave it if you pester for it either.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Unless you are a seller it's really of no real importance to you. Even then it's not so much the number it's more the percentage that counts.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

the answer to your question is "no" as long as you ask politely, cheers

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Hi,

I am almost exclusively a seller on ebay and at one time I wondered why my percentage of feedback was so small compared to the number of my sales.

I was well aware that what ebay call ' feeback solicitation' was a policy violation, so I asked ebay about it and they told me that it was fine to send a follow-up message to buyers which politely expressed the hope that they were happy with their purchase from me and that if they felt the item and my service warranted it, I would be grateful if they could leave feedback that reflected this.

I guess the difference between this polite approach and feedback solicitation is that the latter is blunter and possibly ruder.

Anyway, I do occasionally send out the message when I feel enough time has elapsed for the buyer to have received their item from me and I sometimes do get messages and  feedback back, as a result.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I would be very careful doing this as you might like get the feedback you receive. As has been said on these boards a few times, it annoys some buyers being asked for feedback and they may just ding your stars.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I have been very cautious with the use of this follow up message and over the last few years have found that by making a polite approach, I either get positive feedback or on a couple of occasions, messages from the buyers indicating some slight concern which they didn't believe was worthy of neutral or neg feedback. No negative feedback from it yet.

I know it is a calculated risk in some ways, but on the other hand it also creates a deal of good will, because some of the feedback states that the buyer appreciated the follow up.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

the ebay system sends automated reminders if one has not left feedback - so if that is being ignored I would guess the seller does not normally leave feedback.

I would not ask for it - perhaps a message would be annoying.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply