bought faulty item, seller will only refund if you pay return postage

hi, I bought an item that doesn't work. The seller will only refund if you pay the return postage yourself.  Return postage would cost more than the item cost. It's not about the money so much, I just don't think they should get away with it. Looking at their feedback (99.2%), I can see others have complained about this and it hasn't changed their practice, so I don't think negative feedback threats would change anything.

I'm wondering if there's anything you can do about this. For example, could I lodge a claim through PayPal or something? I'm also wondering what is standard on ebay, does this happen alot (charging for return postage for faulty items)?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I have had this happen as we'll. If the return postage will be more just move on. Leaving negative feedback should help u feel better I know it helped me
When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks, that's sound advice. Life's too short to battle every time.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Open a dispute via Paypal for item not as described & escalate to a claim.

Then phone Paypal & make them aware that the cost of posting the item back is cost prohibitive.Paypal can make a discretionary/courtesy refund.

There is no need to write your money off.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

@cranberry_goddess wrote:

hi, I bought an item that doesn't work. The seller will only refund if you pay the return postage yourself.  Return postage would cost more than the item cost. It's not about the money so much, I just don't think they should get away with it. Looking at their feedback (99.2%), I can see others have complained about this and it hasn't changed their practice, so I don't think negative feedback threats would change anything.

I'm wondering if there's anything you can do about this. For example, could I lodge a claim through PayPal or something? I'm also wondering what is standard on ebay, does this happen alot (charging for return postage for faulty items)?

Thanks

YES, there IS something you can do and it is already in place on eBay.  Check the sellers feedback BEFORE bidding/buying. If you don't like what your read then do not buy from them.

HOWEVER, buyer paying for return postage is standard practice on eBay.  Ethical sellers will pay for return postage if the item was not as described or faulty even though they are not obliged to do so.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply