eBay cheating and lying on refunds. BUYER BEWARE!

The seller sent a used item which had been falsely described as "New". The seller accepted my return. The seller could not send a return postage label. The seller asked for a copy of the return postage receipt in order to refund the return postage. eBay instructed me to return the item by tracked postage. I followed eBay's instructions, and paid for the reurn postage. The seller has receved the item, and refunded GBP15.00 to my Paypal Account. There is no other refund amounts.

The eBay "Return Request" page has removed some information, an now simply states that "This return is now completed The seller refunded GBP 25.77 to your original payment method in PayPal." That is a lie, and by following eBay's instructions,  I am considerably out of pocket for the balance of the original cost PLUS the entire return shipping cost. Contacting eBay by phone I was unable to resolve the issue. One operator passed me to another who has now passed me to a third.

Seems the moral of the story with eBay is that if the item is not as described, TOUGH LUCK!

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Have you asked to speak to a supervisor?  That would be my next step as it seems everything ebay says is soley based on 'whoever answers your call' on any given day

Message 2 of 68
Latest reply

"Whoever answers" passed me on to someone else who then passed me on to someone else. I didn't ask to speak to a supervisor. Each time I was passed on, I was told that the next operator has exprience in the matter. Not surprisingly, each new operator was not aware of the previous operator's statements, and was as unhelpful as the previous.

If I kept the item that was falsely described as "New", I would have paid GBP25.77 and at least have something. As it currently stands, I am out of pocket AUD$75 and have nothing at all. What a pathetic system where you follow instructions from eBay and you end up losing big time.

It's sickening how eBay can falsely state that the seller refunded a certain amount when they are aware that the seller did not. Then they advise that the return shipping cannot be reimbursed. eBay might as well instruct you to through your money down the toilet. You'd probably have second thoughts in that case.

Message 3 of 68
Latest reply

Use the link below and get them to call you back then ask for a supervisor if the first CS rep can't/wont help you. By using the callback option you tend to get a more knowledgeable rep.

http://ocsnext.ebay.com.au/ocs/cusr?query=1485

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 68
Latest reply

As enigma suggested, I agree you do need to speak to a supervisor - and I would suggest be confident and forceful, but not rude in any way no matter how frustrated you feel.  I had a sort of similar situation quite some time ago, but the seller did not require I send the items back, the problem was, the order was for about 12 items and they only sent  lets say 4 of them !  The seller issued a refund for 1 (the cheapest) of the 8 missing items, so as far as eBay was concerned, I had received a refund !!  Well it took a while but eventually, after about 3 attempts, I was refunded the correct amount - for $75, I personally wouldn't give up too easily.  

Be calm, have all the details jotted down in point form ready to explain and you might be suprised Smiley Wink I hope so anyway . . . . . . .  but this is just my opinion

Message 5 of 68
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

How did you fund the original payment?  If it was by a debit or credit card then the refund will go back to the original funding source and will take several days to appear there.

You have received the GBP15.00 from the seller because they sent it as a seperate transaction direct to your paypal account.

To check the status of the actual refund, log into your paypal account and find the original transaction.  Click on it to see the details....if it shows as being reversed then the refund has been done.

If you read the message from ebay properly you will see that GBP25.77 is being refunded to YOUR ORIGINAL FUNDING SOURCE, not your paypal account.

It pays to understand ebay/paypal processes before sounding off that you have been robbed

Message 6 of 68
Latest reply

"This return is now completed The seller refunded GBP 25.77 to your original payment method in PayPal. PayPal transaction  REMOVED"

The above statement was in quotation marks because it is a copy-and-paste from eBay's "Return Requset" page. eBay has quoted the transaction number and is aware of the amount of the refund, GBP15. eBay falsely states that I was refunded GBP25.77 which was the total cost of the original transaction.

Not sure why anyone would seek to defend such cheating and lying.

Message 7 of 68
Latest reply

You have missed the entire point of my post.

Did you fund the original payment with a debit or credit card?   If you did the refund goes back to that account and takes several days.

Why would you be told the seller has refunded the full amount if they did not.  You have admitted to receiving the refund of the postage amount so why would they not have done the refund as well?

Have you looked at the original payment transaction?   What does it say....has it been reversed?

Message 8 of 68
Latest reply

When I said that eBay is lying and cheating, I didn't mean that they were lying about my original payment method. Where eBay states "The seller refunded GBP 25.77 to your original payment method in PayPal", eBay is correct that the original payment was made through Paypal.

My issue is that amout that eBay claims on the "Return Request" page to have been refunded by the seller is totally false.

I have not admitted that the refund was for the original postage. The refund transaction on my Paypal account says "Refund total (includes tax and shipping) GBP15". (Note that the preceding statement is another copy-and-paste.) It doesn't say much else.

Message 9 of 68
Latest reply

padi*0409

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try the callback option.

Message 10 of 68
Latest reply