eBay instructed me to return item but the case is still on hold

So I opened a dispute as the seller sold me a MacBook air that was not as described. Seller never replied to my messages after the transaction and ebay has put the case on hold for more than a couple of weeks now. eBay then instructs me through eBay messages and my email to return the item and I did. The case is still on hold and I think I just got scammed.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Upload the postage tracking for the return.

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Did you upload the tracking number into the dispute?

Why has ebay put the dispute on hold, and for how long?

What makes you think ebay has scammed you?

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I have no clue where to put the tracking details. I've  called up eBay a few days ago and they said they'll manually enter the tracking details but never did and they also said to just wait it out. The parcel is at a post office right now and has been there for a couple of days and still hasn't been collected.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

The email came from customerhelp_au@ebay.com which seems authentic but it's just Abit suspicious

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@philopines wrote:

I have no clue where to put the tracking details. I've  called up eBay a few days ago and they said they'll manually enter the tracking details but never did and they also said to just wait it out. The parcel is at a post office right now and has been there for a couple of days and still hasn't been collected.

I suspect the option for a buyer to upload tracking does not become available unless / until the seller approves the return request - I don't know for sure, as I have never done it from the buyer's side, but when a request comes through to me as a seller, I have to tick an option to have the item returned, confirm my return address, and then submit, after which point the buyer receives the instruction to return to the address I've provided. So, that may mean you can't upload tracking until after that point. 

If the seller never responds to the request, I'm not sure what happens with the options to return and provide tracking details, but eBay usually keep internal records of case details from direct contact, so they probably have the tracking number on file somewhere.  

I'd probably give it another couple of days and if no updates or progress, call them again (or request a callback - I usually use the callback option as for some reason I seem to get better help, and I only have a mobile so avoiding the cost of being on hold for ages is also a bonus). 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply