ebay sending unsolicited email of items I've viewed that are not in my watch list - wasting my time!

Several days ago I noticed I'm receiving email from ebay that look just like "this auction is ending" emails. But they contain items I've browsed and decided are too expensive, not what I require, etc. Because I've viewed them recently, they're things I'm still interested in - just not from that buyer.  Seeing them in an email makes me think they're in my watchlist, are ending, and I've forgotten to bid.  So I go to my watchlist to check and they're not there - and I read the auction again, and realise I decided against these items days/weeks ago.

There is an "If you'd rather not receive these emails click here to unsubscribe" link at the end of the emails.  But I've been through account settings and cannot find anything about this new force-feeding of emails about items I've viewed days/weeks ago and chosen to ignore.  So I'm concerned if I click unsubscribe, it's going to cancel other valid email reminders like "items closing soon".

What an annoying WASTE of people's time!  Every change ebay makes, makes me hate using ebay even more.  Do I now have to LOGOUT every time I browse ebay, in order to prevent this annoying practice?  Or will unsubscribing stop only those emails (without affecting others)?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ebay sending unsolicited email of items I've viewed that are not in my watch list - wasting my time!

I'd try unsubscribing, and then checking that the alerts for the the things I do want to receive are still switched on. I suspect it will just unsubscribe to promotional-type emails, though, which may (or may not) include discount offers, listing promotions and the like (if you ever sell).  I'm annoyed by the over-zealous campaigning of items I have expressed no further interest in after viewing, as well, but some of the promo emails I need, unfortunately. 

If you do unsubscribe, and want to check that you'll still get watch list and bid  alerts, go to My eBay > Account > Communication preferences.

Expand the 'Buying Activity' section by clicking 'Show'.

There is a list of notifications eBay will send under specific circumstances, some you can't alter at all (they'll be greyed out), others you can switch from 'Real time' to none, and vice versa. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

I'd try unsubscribing, and then checking that the alerts for the the things I do want to receive are still switched on. I suspect it will just unsubscribe to promotional-type emails, though, which may (or may not) include discount offers, listing promotions and the like (if you ever sell).  I'm annoyed by the over-zealous campaigning of items I have expressed no further interest in after viewing, as well, but some of the promo emails I need, unfortunately. 

If you do unsubscribe, and want to check that you'll still get watch list and bid  alerts, go to My eBay > Account > Communication preferences.

Expand the 'Buying Activity' section by clicking 'Show'.

There is a list of notifications eBay will send under specific circumstances, some you can't alter at all (they'll be greyed out), others you can switch from 'Real time' to none, and vice versa. 

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

They do it to enhance your buying experience.

I love how the emails asking you if you're still interested in <insert item name here>. If I was interested in THAT item, I would have bought it! I also love how they send me emails telling me an item I looked at is no longer available, but we have more of it, but there's only a link to the ended item in the email.

It makes it hard when you check someone's listings on this forum if they've asked for help, or checked a listing they've looked at but not sure about and the next day, the emails come flooding in. NO, I'm not interested in those items, never was, was looking on behalf of someone else.

Yep, my buying experience is really enhanced.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

The emails I really love are the ones asking me "is this worth another look" - referring to my own items!
Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

I agree it's annoying that every item you browse you are getting bombarded with emails.

another thing that is really annoying when you open an item to have a look (I generally use the within 50km location for pick up purposes), at the bottom of the page are eBays suggestions at similar items. That's great, BUT, most of those furniture items are in a different flippin state! Ridiculous suggestions!

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

Yes, to all those things!  Honestly, ebay was better years ago. I used to collect old issues of a few different magazines. No-one bothers selling them now, because after paying all the fees they break even (or worse).  So sellers figured out it was easier to toss them away and save the time. So many other negative changes I could list, except I'd then be as guilty as ebay, of wasting people's time.  Thanks all. Since ebay has given me little choice I'll try the unsubscribe.

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

two things,, yes, tired of getting nagged.. second, some item refuse PO box delivery, so forget dealing with their attitude... I don't need problems from them,, I wil buy from a place that will send it to me...

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

After 2 years you haven't added a lot to this thread.

Please check dates before dragging up old ones.

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

No don't delete these emails, I'm getting notifications with words such as hurry, don't let it get away, you will miss out etc, buy now quick.... I want to buy something and the seller wont communicate with me regarding specifications, ebay is making me paranoid that if i dont act now i will miss my opportunity.

I will buy the non descriptive item with nil communication and if it doesn't work out i will blame eBay for encouraging me to buy straight away without due diligence an refund the item.

One thing i have noticed is the pop up app notifications are worded differently to the e-mails, the pop ups you need to screenshot as these are more assertive really urging you to buy but once you dismiss them they are gone.
Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

This is a 5 year old thread and the person you are replying to no longer visits these boards

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply